Original h.264 to HEVC h.265 bigger file size!

HandBrake for Windows support
Forum rules
An Activity Log is required for support requests. Please read How-to get an activity log? for details on how and why this should be provided.
worldtoipad

Original h.264 to HEVC h.265 bigger file size!

Post by worldtoipad »

I have the RF value set to 18 for h.265 encoding and this video file original 150 MB and my HEVC encoded is 181 MB.

This isn't making me any sense. I tried a lot of combos last night and all of them were resulting higher file size when it's suppose to be drastically smaller because HELLO it's HEVC.

Only way I got it down was RF value all the way to the left (51) and optimize video set to Ultrafast. Let's juts say i will be doing that again :D

My goal is to archive the video in high quality video format and small file size.

Video code is software H.265(x265)
rollin_eng
Veteran User

Re: Original h.264 to HEVC h.265 bigger file size!

Post by rollin_eng »

Could you please post your logs, instructions can be found here:

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=31236
mduell
Veteran User

Post by mduell »

worldtoipad wrote: Wed Feb 08, 2017 5:41 amsuppose to be drastically smaller because HELLO it's HEVC.
That's now how this works. That's not how any of this works.
Butcher9_9

Post by Butcher9_9 »

Don't take my word as gospel but I'm going to say that your source file may be too low res. I find that HEVC works better the higher the resolution (more space for the larger sampling areas ect) may just be that HEVC has more overhead or just cant be used to its fullest .

As an example I can get a 1080p video down to about 3-4GB (RF 20 - Slow) where as a similar 2160p video is about 6-8GB. Double the size and yet 4X more pixels. 720p on the other hand seems to have a lot more variance with some files being 500MB (same RF 20 - Slow) while others are 1.5GB+.

Just a guess based on my observations. Either that or some videos just don't benefit from the larger sample sizes ect (too random maybe) and yet still get slugged with a bigger overhead.
worldtoipad

Post by worldtoipad »

Butcher9_9 wrote: Thu Feb 16, 2017 9:09 am Don't take my word as gospel but I'm going to say that your source file may be too low res. I find that HEVC works better the higher the resolution (more space for the larger sampling areas ect) may just be that HEVC has more overhead or just cant be used to its fullest .

As an example I can get a 1080p video down to about 3-4GB (RF 20 - Slow) where as a similar 2160p video is about 6-8GB. Double the size and yet 4X more pixels. 720p on the other hand seems to have a lot more variance with some files being 500MB (same RF 20 - Slow) while others are 1.5GB+.

Just a guess based on my observations. Either that or some videos just don't benefit from the larger sample sizes ect (too random maybe) and yet still get slugged with a bigger overhead.
I converted 720p file from H264 to H265. Original was 190 MB and trans coded 400MB. H265 substantially jacked up the size!

The codec information can be seen here http://imgur.com/a/cayfN

I'm not sure what I am doing wrong :(
JohnAStebbins
HandBrake Team

Post by JohnAStebbins »

worldtoipad wrote: Fri Mar 31, 2017 9:36 pm I'm not sure what I am doing wrong :(
For starters, you haven't posed an activity log. Without it we have no way to diagnose your problem.
nhyone
Bright Spark User

Post by nhyone »

The simplest explanation is that the source did not have a "quality" of 18.

While it is often said we can stick to one RF, the assumption is that the source has the same or lower RF!

There is no point using a lower RF than the source, but there is no magical way to know what the source RF is. You can only guess (intelligently, sometimes) and experiment.
worldtoipad

Post by worldtoipad »

nhyone wrote: Fri Mar 31, 2017 10:57 pm The simplest explanation is that the source did not have a "quality" of 18.

While it is often said we can stick to one RF, the assumption is that the source has the same or lower RF!

There is no point using a lower RF than the source, but there is no magical way to know what the source RF is. You can only guess (intelligently, sometimes) and experiment.
Oh I see. Didn't know this is how RF worked.

I played a lot with RFs but from I can recall, having the RF high was leading to smaller file size but really ruining the video quality to the point the black region where showing large pixel. The source was 720p and pretty clear.

Going to re-run the encoding and report the logs to see what might be going on.
Butcher9_9

Post by Butcher9_9 »

worldtoipad wrote: Sat Apr 01, 2017 6:50 pm
Oh I see. Didn't know this is how RF worked.

I played a lot with RFs but from I can recall, having the RF high was leading to smaller file size but really ruining the video quality to the point the black region where showing large pixel. The source was 720p and pretty clear.

Going to re-run the encoding and report the logs to see what might be going on.
180Mb is pretty tiny for a 720p x264 video (unless its very short) so one would assume that its very low quality.