Changing default bitrate of additional audio

HandBrake for Windows support
Forum rules
An Activity Log is required for support requests. Please read How-to get an activity log? for details on how and why this should be provided.
prupp89

Changing default bitrate of additional audio

Post by prupp89 »

I've just started using Handbrake for the first time in awhile as I'm trying to encode my DVDs to be used as a home server for when I'm in the house and when I'm away. I've already gotten that set up, but I'm trying to keep the files as tight as compressed as possible without losing much detail. I've already got the video tweaked how I like it, but I'm trying to figure out the audio.

This is what I would like to happen by default:
1. (Track 1) - AAc - 192kbs DPLII
2. (Track 2+) - AAC - 128kbs DPLII (for commentaries, not other languages)

How can I default the additional tracks to 128kbs? When you go into 'Configure Defaults' I've been able to make it so the first track is 192, but the additional tracks can't be changed from 160 can they?

I'm using the current version 1.0.2 of Handbrake. If it can't be changed from 160 that's not a huge deal, but a little extra compression would help! Thanks!
rollin_eng
Veteran User

Re: Changing default bitrate of additional audio

Post by rollin_eng »

Could you please post your logs, instructions can be found here:

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=31236
Ritsuka
HandBrake Team

Post by Ritsuka »

You can't right now. You can't have different settings for the first and the other tracks.
prupp89

Post by prupp89 »

It seems strange the first track's bitrate/settings can be changed in the settings and change every time, but the additional tracks always default to 160kbps that can't be changed unless you manually go in and change it for each file you're trying to encode.

It's totally not a big deal and I don't know how I could ever do any of this without Handbrake, but it just makes it a little more inconvenient and possibly an easy thing to add to the next version that can be adjusted.

Thanks for the replies!
mduell
Veteran User

Post by mduell »

With HB's crap AAC encoder, do you really want the lower bitrate?

Alternatively, do you really care about burning an extra 32kbps? Over even two hours it amounts to less than 30MB on an encode where you're already burning >285MB on audio.
Deleted User 11865

Post by Deleted User 11865 »

You should be able to work around it if your workflow allows you to easily remove an audio track post-encode.

In the configure defaults audio subpanel, add two tracks:

1 - AAC - 182 Kbps
2 - AAC - 192 Kbps

…and check "Use only first encoder for secondary audio". Don't forget to save this in a new preset.

Then the output should contain:

1 - main track - AAC - 128 Kbps
2 - main track - AAC - 192 Kbps
3 - secondary 1 - AAC - 128 Kbps
[…]
N - secondary (N - 2) - AAC - 128 Kbps

…all you need then is to remove audio track #1 and should have the desired audio configuration.

Though as mduell says, unless you're a Mac user (where HandBrake can use Apple's AAC encoder), HandBrake's AAC encoder is bad enough that the extra bitrate may be required anyway.