Integrated iGPU: Enable QSV w/ Win10 + Handbrake?

HandBrake for Windows support
Forum rules
An Activity Log is required for support requests. Please read How-to get an activity log? for details on how and why this should be provided.
davidm71

Integrated iGPU: Enable QSV w/ Win10 + Handbrake?

Post by davidm71 »

Hi,

Was wondering do you still have to plug in another monitor to get the igpu activated for QSV encoding in Windows 10? I found some old guides that said in the Windows change resolution dialogue you try to extend your desktop onto the igpu after enabling it in bios. With Windows 10 this is a little different and read that that is no longer necessary. If thats the case how do you know if handbrake is using the igpu to encode hevc?

Also I read cpu encoding produces nicer HEVC quality with smaller file sizes. Is this also true?

Thanks!
Woodstock
Veteran User

Re: Integrated iGPU: Enable QSV w/ Win10 + Handbrake?

Post by Woodstock »

While I have not searched recently, the last time I looked (4 or 5 months ago) for a Win10 work-around to get QSV active without a monitor plugged in, there was none. The one for Win7 does not work in Win10.

And I abandoned QSV because I got 10% smaller files with the same nominal settings using x264 instead of qsv_264. I say "nominal" because I ran tests where the only thing I changed was the encoder, BUT the settings for QSV and x264 are not exact matches in what they do.
davidm71

Post by davidm71 »

Seems like Staxrip lets you select intel qsv so there has to be a way for handbrake.
davidm71

Post by davidm71 »

I feel really stupid. Its in the drop down selection list 'Intel QSV x265'. I just don't see 10 bit mode. Probably because I have a 6th gen cpu I'm guessing?

Thanks
mduell
Veteran User

Post by mduell »

Do you have a 10 bit source? HB doesn't have a 10-bit pipeline anyway.
davidm71

Post by davidm71 »

10 bit source? You mean the handbrake source code? Well I was able to compile handbrake to get fdk aac audio support but have no idea how to compile 10 bit support short of downloading precompiled 10 bit libraries that worked for me last time. As my 6700k has only hybrid 10 bit hevc support doubt even if I had a 10 bit Intel qsv dll not sure if it work.
Deleted User 11865

Post by Deleted User 11865 »

We didn't implement any kind of 10-bit support via QSV yet.
davidm71

Post by davidm71 »

Is it possible to compile qsv 10 bit myself? I mean you don't officially support 10bit x265 but have the dll available because i presume someone compiled the code. Love to know how.

Thanks
rollin_eng
Veteran User

Post by rollin_eng »

davidm71 wrote:10 bit source?
What are you encoding? If your source is not 10 bit, whats the point?

Could you please post your logs, instructions can be found here:

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=31236
Deleted User 11865

No, it requires code changes, not a new DLL -- and you need recent hardware, at least 6th gen. -- IIRC. We'll get there eventually.

10-bit encoding can have slight benefits when encoding an 8-bit source, simply because it increases the internal precision of the encoder. Not as cool as a full 10-bit path, and whether the difference can be perceived easily is arguable, but (compatibility and encoding performance aside) there's no downside to encoding an 8-bit source with a 10-bit encoder.
davidm71

Post by davidm71 »

Well I have a couple 6th gen cpus one a 6700 and another albeit slower one on my laptop. Just did an 8 bit Intel qsv encode and had to drop the quality setting to 26 to get acceptable file size but the banding was terrible. The horror. Redoing it on the CPU now as 10 bit though it will take 3x - 4X longer. Give anything for 10 bit qsv. Thanks.
rollin_eng
Veteran User

Post by rollin_eng »

Rodeo wrote: 10-bit encoding can have slight benefits when encoding an 8-bit source, simply because it increases the internal precision of the encoder.
Sure but I imagine for most people in most situations it won't make much difference.

Or maybe we could turn it up to 11 bit :)
davidm71

Post by davidm71 »

rollin_eng wrote:
Rodeo wrote: 10-bit encoding can have slight benefits when encoding an 8-bit source, simply because it increases the internal precision of the encoder.
Sure but I imagine for most people in most situations it won't make much difference.

Or maybe we could turn it up to 11 bit :)
They already have 12 bit and fwiw 4K screens are all over the place but maybe most people are still enjoying 720 content and picking lint out of their ears so who cares right...
Deleted User 11865

I doubt 8->10-bit QSV will make a night-and-day difference, TBH. If you have terrible banding issues w/QSV, open a new topic and post your encode logs, we may be able to suggest settings that help a bit with it…
davidm71

Post by davidm71 »

ok. Will do but fwiw i usually use the stock default settings in the gui. Maybe I should spend some time and tweak them on the command line.