Allow queue list to have different settings per-enty

Archive of historical feature requests.
Please use the GitHub link above to report issues.
Forum rules
Please be aware we are now using GitHub for issue tracking and feature requests.
- This section of the forum is now closed to new topics.

seagoat8888

Allow queue list to have different settings per-enty

Post by seagoat8888 »

Please describe what you would like to see added to HandBrake:

Rather than my entire queue (sometimes 150+ entries) needing to write with the same settings or preset, it would be ideal for each entry to support different settings.

Why would you like to see this added:

In my current workflow, if I want to write 50 things at high quality and then 50 others at low quality, I have to initiate two different settings. The workflow I'd like is to select the preset/setting, then add my queue items, and have them remember what that setting was. Then I can add new entries with other settings.

You would design this to work with a few different approaches, but the most straightforward way might be to have the queue list be visible by default as a bar on the left side of the application (rather than a pop-up). then, if I wanted to edit settings for, say, entries 1, 3, and 10, I could multi-select with checkboxes and then mess with the settings and have them apply only to those.

If this is currently possible, it may not be that discoverable. :)

What version of HandBrake are you currently running:

What operating system and version and you currently running (e.g. OSX 10.11, Windows 7, Ubuntu 14):

Win7
Woodstock
Veteran User

Re: Allow queue list to have different settings per-enty

Post by Woodstock »

Each queue entry DOES support individual settings, but you have to set them individually as you add the item(s). "Batch" addition implies "everything just like this".

Alternatively, the command line and a batch file gives you even better control over such things, at the expense of having to understand the switches to enable them. With a good text editor that supports column mode, it is simple to construct and edit multi-hundred line batch files. I regularly create batch files where the same videos are processed for "full resolution" and "tablet resolution", with different options for both groups, just the handbrake CLI and UltraEdit.
seagoat8888

Post by seagoat8888 »

This is all good to know. So what it boils down to is that the interface is not sufficiently intuitive for this to be picked up by the average user, maybe? Would you consider the method I described so that batch-assign of settings could be more flexible in the UI?
Woodstock
Veteran User

Post by Woodstock »

Hard to define "average user", when there are so many different users. One of my coworkers, who started using handbrake a full year before me, didn't know "batch add" was an option, until I pointed it out. He only knew "one at a time", so it was "intuitive" that the queue retained separate settings for each item added.

When batch add is your primary mode of operation, though, you might not think about that.
mduell
Veteran User

Post by mduell »

seagoat8888 wrote:This is all good to know. So what it boils down to is that the interface is not sufficiently intuitive for this to be picked up by the average user, maybe?
I think you're below average.
s55
HandBrake Team

Post by s55 »

If your not going to provide a useful response, just don't. Your no better than the people ignoring the forum rules if you don't yourself.