Errors in the Windows GUI ? (+some Qs)

HandBrake for Windows support
Forum rules
An Activity Log is required for support requests. Please read How-to get an activity log? for details on how and why this should be provided.
Leo
Bright Spark User

Errors in the Windows GUI ? (+some Qs)

Post by Leo »

A) "deinterlace Slowest" gives this line when I click Query. Note there is nothing set for deinterlace:

-i "Click 'Browse' to continue" -e x264 -E ac3 --crop 0:0:0:0 --deinterlace= -p -m -b 1600 -2 -T -x ref=5:mixed-refs:bframes=3:bime:weightb:b-rdo:b-pyramid:me=umh:subme=7:trellis=1:analyse=all:8x8dct:no-fast-pskip -B 160 -R 48 -6 stero

Please also note that -6 stereo is misspelled!

Further to this; why is -6 stereo being used anyway for the Deux Six Quatre preset? Does ac3 not just do passthrough anyway? Otherwise, why lose all surround info unnecessarily, on what is supposed to be pretty much the best quality preset?

B) For the "Slow" setting, it uses --deinterlace="1". Is this the correct syntax, having the equals sign? I thought it should be like --deinterlace 1 or is either ok?

C) Also -- and this may not be an error -- for "Fastest" it just uses --deinterlace, which it says is the old hb default. However, on the command line it says that the default is:

-d, --deinterlace Deinterlace video with yadif/mcdeint filter
<YM:FD:MM:QP> (default 0:-1:-1:1)

...so does that mean that -d on its own uses the old line-doubling deinterlacing?

D) The wiki does not explain what YM, FD, MM and CQ stand for or are... Could someone briefly shed some light?

E) Also, why does the windows version now no longer remove any copy protection? And why does the mac version do so? (I compared ripping Saving Private Ryan on Mac (fine) PC (doesn't work).)

Thanks!
Lant
Novice

Post by Lant »

I cant answer any of those except E.
The reason is that the css decrypting library won't compile on windows so it is disabled. (This is obviously not the case on linux / mac)
And AFAIK the windows version has never been able to decrypt due to the problem above.
s55
HandBrake Team

Post by s55 »

a) Fixed for a while however not checked in.

b) I'm pretty certain it is correct. Can't remember the reasoning behind that though. Slow is actually 0, not 1. Not sure if this changed but my current svn code shows 0

c) err, should be using deinter....=1. This may have been fixed sometime after 0.9 was released though.

Some of the stuff may have changed and I wasn't aware of it until after release. It's certainly fine in the SVN should you build a replacement GUI exe for yourself. (Guide linked to on this forum in a sticky)

d) Don't personally know.
-d or --deinterlace: turns on deinterlacing filtering. It accepts parameters in the form --deinterlace="1:-1:1" ... The first parameter controls yadif and ffmpeg. "-1" means ffmpeg, HandBrake's fast, quick'n'dirty, traditional deinterlacer. "0" means yadif with 1-pass and spatial deinterlacing. "2" means yadif with 1-pass without spatial deinterlacing. "1" means yadif with 2-pass and spatial deinterlacing. The second parameter is the field dominance. "-1" means "assume top field first" and it should generally be left that way. The third parameter controls mcdeint. Currently, it only functions in its basic mode--"1". In the MacGui, "Fast" is --deinterlacer="-1", "Slow" is --deinterlace="0", "Slower" is --deinterlace="2:-1:1", and "Slowest" is --deinterlace="1:-1:1".
Guess you could do some research based on that. (From the CLI Guide in the wiki)

e) never has supported protection. @Leo - It used to compile just fine but never actually worked. No idea why. No errors so I was not going to spend any time debugging it. chances are it won't compile any more though. It's not something that will be worked on anyway.
jbrjake
Veteran User

Re: Errors in the Windows GUI ? (+some Qs)

Post by jbrjake »

Leo wrote:Further to this; why is -6 stereo being used anyway for the Deux Six Quatre preset?
The preset in no way is supposed to use stereo sound.
B) For the "Slow" setting, it uses --deinterlace="1". Is this the correct syntax, having the equals sign?
Yes.

For information on what the deinterlacing parameters mean and what the defaults are, see the thread wherein huevos_rancheros first added them, in the dev forum.
E) Also, why does the windows version now no longer remove any copy protection? And why does the mac version do so?
Can someone please explain to me why people keep asking this?

*When* did the Windows version *ever* remove copy protection? Why have people just started complaining about this recently, as if it was just removed?
Leo
Bright Spark User

Post by Leo »

e) never has supported protection. @Leo - It used to compile just fine but never actually worked. No idea why. No errors so I was not going to spend any time debugging it. chances are it won't compile any more though. It's not something that will be worked on anyway.
ok; is DVD43 still the best bet for on-the-fly decrypting whilst encoding with HandBrake? I think that Saving Private Ryan had encrytion artefacts when encoded with HB + DVD43, but encoded fine on the Mac. This is the first time I've encountered that problem, which is why I mentioned it here. (Mind you I rarely encode the same movie on a PC and a Mac!)
s55
HandBrake Team

Post by s55 »

AnyDVD is. DVD43 isn't really all that good.

AnyDVD is not a free application though.
Leo
Bright Spark User

Post by Leo »

ok... so in terms of free stuff?
How about the free version of DVD Fab vs DVD43?
s55
HandBrake Team

Post by s55 »

Errm, Don't personally use DVD Fab however DVD43 is very basic CSS support so DVDFab should, in theory, be better.
Leo
Bright Spark User

Post by Leo »

So does the Mac version have more than very simple CSS decryption? It can't cope with zero cells can it?
s55
HandBrake Team

Post by s55 »

Mac version only has css support. Zero Cells and other structure protections are not supported.
Leo
Bright Spark User

Post by Leo »

So therefore it is odd that Saving Private Ryan works fine in the Mac version but not with Windows version running DVD43...?
s55
HandBrake Team

Post by s55 »

I wouldn't say it's odd.

Could be as simple as DVD43 not being able to handle read errors as well as handbrake can.