PAL & NTSC

HandBrake for Windows support
Forum rules
An Activity Log is required for support requests. Please read How-to get an activity log? for details on how and why this should be provided.
Lasthecpu

PAL & NTSC

Post by Lasthecpu »

Windows 10 x64 HandBrake 0.10.5.0
I'm very new to this so I can understand any responses I'm gonna give some history so the nature of my question is clear.
I'm looking to purchase a Live streaming PTZ camera, I live in the US that uses (NTSC) video format, I've found a camera but the country of origin is (PAL) I am under the impression that if I use the (PAL) oriented camera here in the US, the video produced will look odd. 1) is that true? 2) will selecting 29.97 FPS during the HandBrake conversion correct that problem? And back with the first question; We are also wanting to Live Stream, will it look correct if we are using a (PAL) oriented camera in a (NTSC) country?
JohnAStebbins
HandBrake Team

Re: PAL & NTSC

Post by JohnAStebbins »

I don't think you want to use either PAL or NTSC cameras. PAL and NTSC are interlaced video formats, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Interlaced_video. The interlaced fields will be visible artefacts on any standard computer monitor. You should be looking for a camera that can output progressive frames.

But to answer your original question more clearly, the differences between NTSC and PAL are:
NTSC: resolution 720x480, framerate 29.976 fps
PAL: resolution 720x576, framerate 24 fps
Woodstock
Veteran User

Post by Woodstock »

Most STREAMING cameras output progressive video at a specific resolution and frames per second, not interlaced, and having nothing to do with either PAL or NTSC. If you're not connecting to it with a coaxial connector to a dedicated monitor, those acronyms do not concern you.
Lasthecpu

Post by Lasthecpu »

Ok, Totally lost. How about this. The streaming camera is a JVC GV‑LS2W Network Camera ‑ PTZ ‑ 12.4 MP, it comes in two models 1) NTSC. 2) PAL. I can't seem to find the NTSC model, but have found the PAL model. I am told that using the PAL version here in the US "Indoors" will produce a slight distortion (something to do with the electrical current 50Hz "PAL", and 60 Hz "NTSC") in the streaming and recorded output, is that correct? Our intentions is to connect to the camera via network cable.
kpflugshaupt
Novice

Post by kpflugshaupt »

Lasthecpu wrote:Ok, Totally lost. How about this. The streaming camera is a JVC GV‑LS2W Network Camera ‑ PTZ ‑ 12.4 MP, it comes in two models 1) NTSC. 2) PAL. I can't seem to find the NTSC model, but have found the PAL model. I am told that using the PAL version here in the US "Indoors" will produce a slight distortion (something to do with the electrical current 50Hz "PAL", and 60 Hz "NTSC") in the streaming and recorded output, is that correct? Our intentions is to connect to the camera via network cable.
The 50 vs. 60 Hz issue (US using 60Hz on electrical current, Europe 50Hz) is relevant only if you use fluorescent lighting indoors, as that will oscillate at the respective frequency.

Thus, if your camera shoots at 25fps and the lighting oscillates on 60Hz, you will see a flickering effect in the resulting video. Same thing the other way around (30fps and 50Hz lighting). 25fps/50Hz and 30fps/60Hz cause no issues.

I'm not sure this has anything to do with PAL/NTSC in a strict sense, but the phenomenon is well-known.

Cheers
Kaspar
Lasthecpu

Post by Lasthecpu »

Thank you Kaspar... Ok so just 1 other question. so the oscillation won't happen with incandescent lighting?
JackNF
Enlightened

Post by JackNF »

AFAIK this oscillation issue shouldn't happen at all on modern flat panel displays no matter what room lighting you're using, it's strictly a potential annoyance with old-school CRT monitors and TVs.