Use source folder name in output file name?

Archive of historical feature requests.
Please use the GitHub link above to report issues.
Forum rules
Please be aware we are now using GitHub for issue tracking and feature requests.
- This section of the forum is now closed to new topics.

fullmental

Use source folder name in output file name?

Post by fullmental »

Please describe what you would like to see added to HandBrake: I would like to see the option to have the automatic file naming format accept the use of the source folder name as part of the output file string, e.g. "{folder}".

Why would you like to see this added: I am in the process of digitizing not only my own bluray/dvd library, but that of my parents and grandparents for them. Many cheaper/multi-disc DVDs/Blurays, particularly for TV series, don't have proper file names when I use MakeMKV to rip the discs to my hard drive. Instead, I sometimes just get generic filenames like "title00", "title01" etc, that reset with each disc I put in. I want to place everything in one output folder (on a different hard drive so I can't just place back in the source folder!) to organize later, but I don't want to overwrite files, nor do I want to have to manually rename every single file (there's thousands of them...). I'm currently using {date}-{time} to prevent overwriting files and to get everything quickly queued up in batches, but this just creates more work down the road when I ultimately have to sort each library.

This sort of automatic file naming option could save hours of manually retyping each file name after the fact (or while I'm queuing up each folder, but that means no more using the queue's "add all" feature which is already saving me a ton of time. Something like {folder} would work great.

What version of HandBrake are you currently running: 0.10.5.0

What operating system and version and you currently running (e.g. OSX 10.11, Windows 7, Ubuntu 14): 2 Windows 10, 1 Ubuntu 16.04
Woodstock
Veteran User

Re: Use source folder name in output file name?

Post by Woodstock »

Regarding the MakeMKV file names, you probably should enable "Expert Mode" so that you will have the opportunity to edit the file names prior to the rip. You can find out more information on their forum about that.
fullmental

Post by fullmental »

Woodstock wrote:Regarding the MakeMKV file names, you probably should enable "Expert Mode" so that you will have the opportunity to edit the file names prior to the rip. You can find out more information on their forum about that.
Huh, so I should. Thanks for the tip! The only problem though is I'm still naming all of the files manually, only now I'm doing it before ripping the disc instead of after compressing it in Handbrake. Having the option to use the folder name can still cut back my work sixfold or more for TV series, because then I can just worry about naming the folder in MakeMKV, and let Handbrake do the rest. If I have 100 folders with 8 25-minute episodes each, that's either 100 folders I can name, or 800 files! Naming 100 folders will take almost no time at all because MakeMKV can name those automatically (I only have to adjust the ones where the names are meaningless/etc.), but renaming 800 files one by one would take several hours, maybe even days. See the how much less manual typing would need to be done with the folder option?
mduell
Veteran User

Post by mduell »

There are tools, even GUI ones, to help you automating file renames.
Locuus
New User

Post by Locuus »

Sounds like a great idea, and would definitely make things easier.

Just a suggestion to tie you over while you wait for this feature - don't bother renaming the files manually, download and use the free "Bulk Rename Utility" program. It is free and can help you rename 100s of files in seconds with a vast number of renaming options. Takes a couple of minutes to figure out how to use it, but it is very easy after that.

Cheers.