Should High Profile be worse quality than Normal Preset?

Discussion of the HandBrake command line interface (CLI)
Forum rules
An Activity Log is required for support requests. Please read How-to get an activity log? for details on how and why this should be provided.
ahnooie

Should High Profile be worse quality than Normal Preset?

Post by ahnooie »

I encoded a video with:

Code: Select all

HandBrakeCLI -i $SRC/$FILE -o $DEST/$filename.$DEST_EXT --preset=$HB_PRESET --subtitle scan -F -E fdk_haac
With HB_PRESET="Normal" and again with HB_PRESET="High Profile"

In the case of Normal the video output looked great, and was 5.5GB in size, in High Profile the output looked a little pixelated at times and and the video size was 1.4GB. Is this correct behavior or could I be doing something wrong? I was wonder the impression that High Profile merely made the encoding time take longer than Normal but didn't reduce the quality of the video.

Output of HandBrakeCli -z ...

+ Normal:  -e x264  -q 20.0 -a 1 -E faac -B 160 -6 dpl2 -R Auto -D 0.0 --audio-copy-mask aac,ac3,dtshd,dts,mp3 --audio-fallback ffac3 -f mp4 --loose-anamorphic --modulus 2 -m --x264-preset veryfast --h264-profile main --h264-level 4.0

+ High Profile:  -e x264  -q 20.0 -a 1,1 -E faac,copy:ac3 -B 160,160 -6 dpl2,auto -R Auto,Auto -D 0.0,0.0 --audio-copy-mask aac,ac3,dtshd,dts,mp3 --audio-fallback ffac3 -f mp4 -4 --decomb --loose-anamorphic --modulus 2 -m --x264-preset medium --h264-profile high --h264-level 4.1
Ubuntu 14.04 LTS with handbrake-cli 0.9.9+dfsg-2~2.gbpa4c3e9build1

Thanks.
Deleted User 11865

Re: Should High Profile be worse quality than Normal Preset?

Post by Deleted User 11865 »

That much of a difference is not normal in any event, but without logs (stderr output)…

That being said, I can hazard a guess:

HandBrakeCLI -i "$SRC/$FILE" -o "$DEST/$filename.$DEST_EXT" --preset="$HB_PRESET" --subtitle scan -F -E fdk_haac
…would probably work better.
mduell
Veteran User

Post by mduell »

Note 0.9.9 is not supported; upgrade to the current release or nightly for help.

Also the Ubuntu-provided builds are not supported, because they intentionally break them. Use jstebbin's PPAs for supported builds.

When you are on a supported build, an Activity Log is required for support requests. See Must Read: How To Get Questions Answered on These Forums for details. We're unable to verify your claims without those.
ahnooie

Post by ahnooie »

Rodeo wrote:That being said, I can hazard a guess:
It was indeed the missing quotes, thanks!
mduell wrote:Note 0.9.9 is not supported; upgrade to the current release or nightly for help.

Also the Ubuntu-provided builds are not supported, because they intentionally break them. Use jstebbin's PPAs for supported builds.

When you are on a supported build, an Activity Log is required for support requests. See Must Read: How To Get Questions Answered on These Forums for details. We're unable to verify your claims without those.
I'll look into switching to the PPA, thanks.

Also, my apologies for not posting the log. Somehow I missed what I now see is an inconspicuous notice ...at the top of the forum ...in red. ...and bold.
Woodstock
Veteran User

Post by Woodstock »

I don't even think use of presets was supported in the CLI prior to the current nightly builds.

Did that even make it into 0.10.x?
Deleted User 11865

Post by Deleted User 11865 »

Woodstock wrote:I don't even think use of presets was supported in the CLI prior to the current nightly builds.

Did that even make it into 0.10.x?
Built-in preset have always been available in the CLI (they were hardcoded). The ability to use custom presets is new to the nightly branch.