Use ffmpeg 3.0 AAC encoder by default

Archive of historical feature requests.
Please use the GitHub link above to report issues.
Forum rules
Please be aware we are now using GitHub for issue tracking and feature requests.
- This section of the forum is now closed to new topics.

Degru

Use ffmpeg 3.0 AAC encoder by default

Post by Degru »

Please describe what you would like to see added to HandBrake:
Use new ffmpeg 3.0 AAC encoder instead of the old ffmpeg AAC encoder that libav uses
Why would you like to see this added:
The new ffmpeg 3.0 AAC encoder has much higher quality than the old one. I have had pretty bad artifacts and distortions in the high frequencies with the current encoder.
What version of HandBrake are you currently running:
0.10.5 64-bit
What operating system and version and you currently running (e.g. OSX 10.11, Windows 7, Ubuntu 14):
Windows 10
s55
HandBrake Team

Re: Use ffmpeg 3.0 AAC encoder by default

Post by s55 »

We don't use FFMPEG so this simply isn't an option.

If/when it gets merged to libav, we'll get it for free. Until then there is not much we can do.
Bnna

Post by Bnna »

s55 wrote:We don't use FFMPEG so this simply isn't an option.
The important question would be why. I'm genuinely curious. As far as I can judge, both seem to be (mostly) interchangeable, especially because FFMPEG 'backports' a lot of commits from libav. I'm not a developer though.

Now that the AAC encoder in FFMPEG has matured, it is far beyond what Handbrake's current libav delivers, and I can't think of a better reason to switch. From what I know, the libav project seems to ignore FFMPEG so the chances of getting a better native AAC there anytime soon aren't too high.

So are there any specific technological reasons why libav can't be replaced by ffmpeg? Regressions? The need to rewrite parts of the code base?

This whole situation is unfortunate. Hopefully Opus ships sometime. After HEVC, might as well go for efficiency over compatibility and leave AAC behind.

Thanks for answers.
mduell
Veteran User

Post by mduell »

Keyword being mostly. If you'd like to do the extensive work of switching from libav to ffmpeg and testing all edge and corner cases I bet you'd see a lot of interest in your proposed patch.
K@mpfH@mster

Post by K@mpfH@mster »

@s55: I would like to see it too. Do you know someone or what is the page of libav, perhaps I could write there?
Djfe
Bright Spark User

Post by Djfe »

I'm fairly certain, that they (should) know that the native aac encoder from FFmpeg is now stable, but I wasn't able to find a bug report about it.

Here you can find their bugzilla:
https://www.libav.org/bugreports/

And google is your friend ;)