MPLS isn't using correct m2ts files to create playlist from decrypted bluray source

Archive of historical bug reports.
Please use the GitHub link above to report issues.
Forum rules
Please be aware we are now using GitHub for issue tracking and feature requests.
- This section of the forum is now closed to new topics.

irontobind
New User

MPLS isn't using correct m2ts files to create playlist from decrypted bluray source

Post by irontobind »

When backing up and reencoding some Pixar or Disney Bluray discs into MKV, the MPLS title selected does not sequence the correct M2TS files

This happens on multiple (animated) titles where there are different video scenes for different languages. Select an MPLS and encode - in the case of Zootopia, the first 1:48 title (77) produces a video stream with french scenes - this differs from MakeMKV, which produces the correct, English version. Handbrake is unable to automatically produce a playlist which has the correct audio and video streams together. It appears that the MPLS is decoded incorrectly or is swapped with another playlist. I originally thought I had received a grey market disc for the wrong region, but verified that the English playlist is the first via MakeMKV. The first two playlists (77 & 78) are French and Spanish video playlist and have all audio tracks and subs, while the third playlist (79 ) has the English video, and only one English commentary track, so it isn't possible to get the correct playlist for English video & audio in one step.

I can work around the issue by creating an MKV with MakeMKV then reencoding from that to a smaller MKV for our library and another smaller MP4 for my daughter's tablet, but it would be easier if I could rip the disc and set up the two encode jobs in handbrake.

I have reproduced the error on multiple versions of handbrake - the Zootopia specific issue on 0.10.3 and 0.10.5 on Windows 10, recently build 10586, and previously with other discs (so my wife tells me).

Images of the different sample language scene in Zootopia (7:20)
http://imgur.com/a/aePus

Encode log:
http://pastebin.com/jrkghggm
rollin_eng
Veteran User

Re: MPLS isn't using correct m2ts files to create playlist from decrypted bluray source

Post by rollin_eng »

Can you post your scan log?
JohnAStebbins
HandBrake Team

Re: MPLS isn't using correct m2ts files to create playlist from decrypted bluray source

Post by JohnAStebbins »

You've chosen the wrong title. This is a common trick the studios use to discourage making copies of your discs.
Woodstock
Veteran User

Post by Woodstock »

You need to be able to display the file names to know which title is correct. MakeMKV does that, because it's intended for ripping.

On Disney disks, the playlist with 800 in its name is the one for English.

Your work-around to use MakeMKV to extract the files really should be your normal way of doing it, but that's just my opinion. Work to each tool's strengths.
PaulF
Novice

Post by PaulF »

Totally off topic. I was born in MPLS Minnesota.