Increate subtitle font size SRT

Discussion of the HandBrake command line interface (CLI)
Forum rules
An Activity Log is required for support requests. Please read How-to get an activity log? for details on how and why this should be provided.
hlcb

Increate subtitle font size SRT

Post by hlcb »

Is possible to increase the subtitle font size when using subtitles in SRT format? Using the tag "font" and the attribute "size" with the numeric value works in VLC and several players, but I tested yesterday in HandBrake and he ignored the attribute "size", only the attribute "color" works.
Woodstock
Veteran User

Re: Increate subtitle font size SRT

Post by Woodstock »

There is no override for subtitle files in handbrake that I have seen, and SRT format is limited in what it can do, which is why many programs and players (like VLC) have to ask you how to format the subtitles when they display them.

However, the parser for subtitles in handbrake will accept some ASS/SSA formatting commands within an SRT file, as well as understanding .ass subtitles embedded in a source MKV file. How much editing do you want to do?
hlcb

Post by hlcb »

A friend asked me to insert subtitles in MP4 files of episodes of series to watch it on your phone and also on your notebook and captions should be yellow. I used HandBrake to insert subtitles and used the tag "font" and attribute "color" with the value "#FFFF00" and it worked perfectly, the final file was subtitled with text in yellow, I handed it to him, but he complained that the legend was too small and could increase slightly. I will try to use the commands "ASS/SSA" to increase the font size now. Thank you.
Woodstock
Veteran User

Post by Woodstock »

"ASS/SSA" isn't a command, it's two "flavors" of SubStation Alpha subtitles, which have formatting commands available. You can find more about them by searching for SubStation Alpha on your favorite search engine.

You will probably want a tool that allows you to import the SRT and stylize it, then export a .ass file to be merged into your source MKV file before encoding with handbrake. Check out http://aegisub.org for a free one.