Resume Encoding

Archive of historical feature requests.
Please use the GitHub link above to report issues.
Forum rules
Please be aware we are now using GitHub for issue tracking and feature requests.
- This section of the forum is now closed to new topics.

Anamonde
Novice

Resume Encoding

Post by Anamonde »

Alright... so i'm sure we have all been in the situation when we are 90% done with our encode ... and the guests start to arrive and the missus wants the computer turned off cause it sounds like a jet engine (so unreasonable).

:P

It would be super sweet if there was a resume encode function... same as pause/resume... except you are able to shutdown your computer and continue at a later point.

I guess handbrake would need to save all the information it is holding to a tmp file and pick it up later so it can finish what it started.

Thanks for your consideration.
hawkman
Veteran User

Post by hawkman »

As I understand it, this would be difficult - the current pause function would not scale to this. It's certainly something a lot of people would want, though (pretty sure it's been requested a few times before).

I believe if you sleep the computer - with HB still open - you can still resume when it wakes up. Maybe that would be acceptable for this particular situation?
Anamonde
Novice

Post by Anamonde »

I have an internal sata raid in my computer that likes dying when sleep is activated... obviously not a HB problem though so i'll just shud'up. :D

ps. i did do a search for this request before I posted, but could only find things related to the pause/resume button.
hawkman
Veteran User

Post by hawkman »

Anamonde wrote:I have an internal sata raid in my computer that likes dying when sleep is activated...
Ah, bugger. This would certainly be a desirable feature in HB, though (resuming after shutdown, not killing your raid system ;) ).