Using new Media Fork iPod H.264 setting won't copy to iPod

Discuss encoding for devices and presets.
Forum rules
An Activity Log is required for support requests. Please read How-to get an activity log? for details on how and why this should be provided.
macericpet

Post by macericpet »

Did two rips using the new MediaFork:
MPEG-4
2mbps
720x400
plays fine in Quicktime, iTunes and copies to iPod. Plays fine on TV.

H.264 (iPod)
1.4mbps
720x400
plays in Quicktime (choppy) will not copy to iPod.

Is the 640 wide in H.264 a strict 640 or is it just the total pixels?
dynaflash
Veteran User

Re: Using new Media Fork iPod H.264 setting won't copy to iP

Post by dynaflash »

macericpet wrote:Did two rips using the new MediaFork:
MPEG-4
2mbps
720x400

H.264 (iPod)
1.4mbps
720x400

Bingo. 640 is a hard limit. Not like the old macroblock calcs. thats why MediaFork now auto crops your Picture settings to a 640 x xxx width when you select the x264 (h.264 iPod) encoder.
hawkman
Veteran User

Post by hawkman »

dynaflash wrote:640 is a hard limit. Not like the old macroblock calcs.
Only because iTunes makes it so. Use an app like Floola to copy videos without iTunes, and you'll see that the iPod can actually play H.264 videos wider than 640px... Slightly annoying.
baggss

Post by baggss »

macericpet wrote:Did two rips using the new MediaFork:
MPEG-4
2mbps
720x400

H.264 (iPod)
1.4mbps
720x400

Follow the tutorial in my signature and you'll get a good copy that will work on your iPod.
divinevelocity

Post by divinevelocity »

hawkman wrote:
Only because iTunes makes it so. Use an app like Floola to copy videos without iTunes, and you'll see that the iPod can actually play H.264 videos wider than 640px... Slightly annoying.
wow, this just rips the lid off of everything. does anyone know how great one can go with this? (a 'full' 480p?)
jsyoung

Post by jsyoung »

baggss -- used the instructions you listed, and I'm still having a problem. Using both MediaFork and Handbrake, having used all the video settings for both AVI and MP4, I absolutely cannot get my movies (which rip and play on my PB) to copy to my ipod. I'm hoping someone can point me in the right direction, because I can't figure it out. Thanks.
baggss

Post by baggss »

Go back and check your settings and make sure they are EXACTLY as I list in the tutorial. I've ripped several Hundred Movies and TV shows with those settings and had almost no problems.
jsyoung

Have to change preferences to the .m4v format

Post by jsyoung »

I went back and triple-checked to make sure I had everything the same as your tutorial, and indeed I did. I then went into the Preferences and changed the default for H.264 (iPod) converter to make it a .m4v file. Only after I did this would it work, and when I switched nothing but that preference back to test it, it failed to function again. But, long story short, it works now. Thanks!
baggss

Post by baggss »

That's interesting. I have almost nothing, apart from stuff from iTMS, in m4v format and have no issues.

Anyone else have this problem?
dynaflash
Veteran User

Post by dynaflash »

That preference does one thing and one thing only. It changes the suffix to .m4v instead of .mp4 just the very same as if you typed it yourself. I can guarantee it does absolutely nothing else. The same movie with the .mp4 suffix should work identically.

But, the old saying, if it works, dont fix it. :)
jsyoung

Post by jsyoung »

dynaflash wrote:That preference does one thing and one thing only. It changes the suffix to .m4v instead of .mp4 just the very same as if you typed it yourself. I can guarantee it does absolutely nothing else. The same movie with the .mp4 suffix should work identically.

But, the old saying, if it works, dont fix it. :)
Thanks for all your help guys--I think the bottom line is that I must have received a (somewhat at least) defective iPod. I've done everything exactly as listed by your guides, and tested about every different setting possible via both MediaFork and Handbrake--and sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. Ripping the same movie twice with the same exact settings, it will copy to iPod once, won't the second. So I'm going to send it back and get a replacement. Thanks again.
h00ligan

Post by h00ligan »

hawkman wrote:
This is not the result I just found testing with Floola. It still won't play past 640 wide.