Preserving Dr Who Decomb BOB when combining handbrake rips and other files!

HandBrake for Mac support
Forum rules
An Activity Log is required for support requests. Please read How-to get an activity log? for details on how and why this should be provided.
chrisnewbold

Preserving Dr Who Decomb BOB when combining handbrake rips and other files!

Post by chrisnewbold »

I'm completely stuck! Hopefully someone will find this interesting enough to help!

I'm in the process of ripping my Classic Series Doctor Who DVD collection to iTunes via Handbrake. There are two major challenges to this:

1) Some episodes in a given story have commentary and some don't (Tenth Planet, An Unearthly Child). My aim is to create one single file per story.I can't find a way of combining the individual mp4 files easily into 1 single m4 file to import to iTunes. So I've resorted to importing each file into final cut x and exporting the final file. This means I lose any commentary track, but I've resigned myself to this. But any ideas if i can get around this? It's obviously fine for stories where there is a commentary and so second audio track all the way through. It's just the mixture of files with different streams that i don't seem to able to combine in, say, QT 7 without any issues.Essentially it won't let me use passthrough because the files I'm mixing presumably aren't compatible.

2) Secondly, and more importantly, I'm trying to preserve the (interlaced?) look of British TV studio video footage as well as footage treated withVidFIRE (some of you may know what that is!).To do this decomb BOB works a treat.However assuming I have to keep doing 1 - put through final cut to edit tougher certain files into 1 - I lose the vidFIRE or interlaced as final cut encodes the files. Is there a project or export setting that might preserve the interlaced look?

I think if I could connect the files somehow without re-encoding them and instead using passthrough the problem would be solved, but this doesn't seem to be possible. And sorry, I'm assuming someone out there has knowledge of final cut as well as handbrake!

Thanks

Chris
rollin_eng
Veteran User

Re: Preserving Dr Who Decomb BOB when combining handbrake rips and other files!

Post by rollin_eng »

Could you please post your logs, instructions can be found here:

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=31236
whistlerz

Post by whistlerz »

So you're trying to merge multiple episodes (from multiple discs even) into a single file? I'd try either:
  • Using some other app that will allow you to losslessly combine the appropriate DVD VOBs together into an MKV.
  • Use MKVMerge on each disc first to losslessly dump the appropriate title from that disk to an MKV file, and then use some other app to combine all of the appropriate MKVs together sequentially.
Either way, once you have your single MKV file for a story, you can then run that through HandBrake and get the results you're looking for.
Last edited by whistlerz on Tue Apr 19, 2016 9:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
chrisnewbold

Post by chrisnewbold »

Activity log for handbrake if any help.

http://pastebin.com/rhdPDPBf

whistlerz, thanks - not just that. Its' that the encoded files don't seem compatible perhaps because they have different audio streams. If i sure mpeg stream clip to join them it retains the interlaced footage and the commentary track, but as soon as it gets to the clip I've added without the audio commentary, the picture is blank and I can only hear the sound.

I should add i want the final files to be in iTunes which i then use as a media server for my apple tv for - so need to stick to mov/mp4 as final files?
chrisnewbold

Post by chrisnewbold »

Ok so here's an easier question that might help me if i know the answer..

If i rip a DVD using handbrake using the decomb BOB filter, I'm not technically creating interlaced video am I? although the effect is a more detailed looking picture that emulates the detail of a PAL interlaced video. So what are the characteristics of the file and how can i preserve those characteristics when i edit in final cut and then share? I can't find a way of exporting an interlaced video that iTunes will accept, but I'm thinking that's not what I'm wanting to do?

Other than that, suggestions on how I can get this to work in QT7 - what I need to do to get the files types to combine and export as passthrough?

Chris
Lostless
Bright Spark User

Post by Lostless »

When using bob, you are making a progressive 60fps (50fps PAL) video out of the interlaced material. It is no longer interlaced and still gives the similar look of old tv smoothness.