HandBrake for Mac support
Forum rules
An Activity Log is required for support requests. Please read How-to get an activity log? for details on how and why this should be provided.
Martin

Post by Martin »

thanks, i need to rip it using mac the ripper first right?
baggss

Post by baggss »

Need to rip what? You can rip directly from a DVD with MF if you like.
Mercury Glitch

Post by Mercury Glitch »

though you'll get a faster encode from the HDD than the DVD.
baggss

Post by baggss »

I don't know. I get about the same speed both ways so it's hard to tell. I did a hard drive rip today and it wasn't anything special.
Mercury Glitch

Post by Mercury Glitch »

ah well, there is always the queuing factor with rips to the harddrive. That alone is worth it if you've got multiple DVDs to encode, pop 'em in MTR/DTOX them and slap 'em into Mediafork.
baggss

Post by baggss »

I have 4 DVD drives (don't ask) and generally rip directly from them, with the setting I use I still get 50-85FPS rips. DTOX and MTR (especially v3) work wonders if you have problems though.
Mercury Glitch

Post by Mercury Glitch »

ok, but I'd say 4 DVD drives is the extremely rare condition.

And while I've got two myself that's only because I have a MacPro, and had a second drive that I could put in. Since that's only an option on the towers that Apple has released over the last few years I'd say one drive is the likely norm.

Even if we take 2 as a future norm, having them both be free to use is nice.

As it is right now I can throw some DVDs on my MacPro, load them into MF, and play some WoW, Quake 4, or Doom 3 and not see any performance drop. Of course Doom 3 and Quake 4 req the CD be in the drive.
baggss

Post by baggss »

AGREED! :D