NVENC in Handbrake

Archive of historical development discussions
Discussions / Development has moved to GitHub
Forum rules
Please be aware we are now using GitHub for issue tracking and feature requests.
- This section of the forum is now closed to new topics.

northernmunky

NVENC in Handbrake

Post by northernmunky »

I've been pretty loyal to Handbrake for a while, but I've just got started using NVENC (Windows platform) usign MediaCoder and I have to say, the speed is phenomenal and even supports 2 pass encoding. Jobs that took me 4 hours to do, now takes 10-15 minutes and quality is pretty good on H.264. (H.265 still need a bit of work though).

Are ther any plans to bring NVENC to Handbrake. Although MediaCoder is pretty good, it doesnt have the user friendlyness or simplicity of Handbrake, and I'm having trouble getting certain settings right. Can Handbrake do a better job? :?:
s55
HandBrake Team

Re: NVENC in Handbrake

Post by s55 »

No plans no. Doesn't mean someone won't sumbit a patch.

Remember, you can change x264 settings to make it faster or slower. If it's too slow right now, use a faster preset on the video tab. These hardware encodes are not nearly as efficient as x264 so you can get away with adjusting the preset / quality rf value and still get better as good or better results.
gmb
Bright Spark User

Post by gmb »

It's not that simple. On a i7-6700k x264 very fast is slower than NVENC and looks much much worse.
s55
HandBrake Team

Post by s55 »

Do you have any result data to back up that claim?

I need to get hold of a NVidia 9 Series card again to do some testing but last time I looked at it, I wasn't particularly impressed. It wasn't bad but I preferred QuickSync's output. Both tend to be a tad on the soft side though which I guess some people prefer.

Hopefully going to get some hardware to test VCE 2/3 at some point
gmb
Bright Spark User

Post by gmb »

Numerous tests from my side based on a GTX 970. The same applies to Quicksync. From a performance/quality perspective x264 is inefficient on a fast Intel Quadcore. I meant ultra fast by the way. Slower than the hardware solution from Nvidia and even more Intel. X264 ultra fast is just crap in quality also.

I need at least a fast preset with x264 to really outclass the hardware based solution from Nvidia and Intel quality wise, otherwise there a too many cases where it loses. But this is nothing new really, surprising to see people still claiming that x264 could match the speed of a hardware solution without quality loss. It's not that simple anymore.
s55
HandBrake Team

Post by s55 »

I never said it could match it, just you can go faster or slower depending on settings.