When can I use only Handbrake for DVD conversion VS. MakeMKV + Handbrake?

HandBrake for Mac support
Forum rules
An Activity Log is required for support requests. Please read How-to get an activity log? for details on how and why this should be provided.
kat.hayes

When can I use only Handbrake for DVD conversion VS. MakeMKV + Handbrake?

Post by kat.hayes »

I am using the latest version of both MakeMKV and Handbrake on El Capitan. I want to take a bunch of DVDs and rip them and put them on my iPhone/iPad and possibly AppleTV. When do I need to use MakeMKV before going into Handbrake VS. just using Handbrake for the whole process?

Thanks.
kpflugshaupt
Novice

Re: When can I use only Handbrake for DVD conversion VS. MakeMKV + Handbrake?

Post by kpflugshaupt »

If you know that the DVD is not copy protected in any way (e.g. a home-recorded DVD), MakeMKV is not necessary.

I'm still using it for all discs, as I usually do a few at a time and can use both programs in parallel to save time (rip the next disc while the first one transcodes).
mduell
Veteran User

Post by mduell »

The best practice is to use MakeMKV or similar for all DVD/Blu-ray sources.
kpflugshaupt wrote:If you know that the DVD is not copy protected in any way (e.g. a home-recorded DVD), MakeMKV is not necessary.
The home-recorded DVDs are often so poorly authored that HB can't make sense of all of the content, and you're better off with software intended for ripping like MakeMKV.
kat.hayes

Post by kat.hayes »

Is there some way to determine if a disc has copy protection without going through the whole conversion process?

Thanks.
mduell
Veteran User

Post by mduell »

Is it a commercial disk? It has copy protection.

Is it home recorded? It's probably poorly authored.

The best practice is to always use software intended for ripping disks when you're ripping disks.