Is there a way to build an OSX (dylib) handbrake library

Archive of historical development discussions
Discussions / Development has moved to GitHub
Forum rules
Please be aware we are now using GitHub for issue tracking and feature requests.
- This section of the forum is now closed to new topics.

VidBoy

Is there a way to build an OSX (dylib) handbrake library

Post by VidBoy »

Hi guys. I'm looking to put together a small utility on OSX, using handbrake for the encoding and was wondering if there's a way to build a single dylib for use in my app? I've managed to get handbrake building from source, but it generates a number of .a files with no dylib I can find.

Additionally, are there docs for the API?

Cheers
Deleted User 11865

Re: Is there a way to build an OSX (dylib) handbrake library

Post by Deleted User 11865 »

I don't think there's any detailed official documentation for the API, no. libhb isn't really meant to be used standalone, so any API changes are usually simply discussed with (and more often than not, decided by) GUI maintainers. VidCoder seems able to keep up most of the time, though he does have to ask on IRC every now and then.

Our build system doesn't create a dylib for libhb by default, though you may be able to adapt it to do so - we do build a DLL for the Windows GUI to use. Not 100% sure where to start though. Feel free to jump on IRC (#handbrake on freenode) and ask though.
Ritsuka
HandBrake Team

Post by Ritsuka »

Yes, just create a new target in Xcode and make it create a dylib or a framework. Actually I just split the Mac GUI into the gui and a framework with HBCore and friends, but I haven't committed it yet, so you might want to wait a week or two for it. It will expose the objc wrapper around libhb, but it should as easy to use and much easier if you want to create a GUI.
VidBoy

Post by VidBoy »

Thanks guys, will check out the IRC.

Ritsuka, will wait a bit and see what happens with your changes. I'm hoping to make the utility cross platform, probably using Qt to make life easier so hopefully I can interface with your core.

Thanks
Ritsuka
HandBrake Team

Post by Ritsuka »

Urgh Qt, I guess you should use libhd directly then.