FDK AAC and the 0.10.5

HandBrake for Windows support
Forum rules
An Activity Log is required for support requests. Please read How-to get an activity log? for details on how and why this should be provided.
s55
HandBrake Team

FDK AAC and the 0.10.5

Post by s55 »

It was brought to my attention earlier that the 0.10.5 Windows GUI was showing the FDK encoder despite it being removed.

The app has been sanitising the error so has been using the libav encoder under the hood.

To avoid any further confusion, I've replaced the binaries on the website. Thew new files have "-1.exe" on the end.

It's not necessary to replace your install, but if seeing the erroneous menu items bothers you, feel free to download the new build.

Apologies for any confusion.
Ricimer

Re: FDK AAC and the 0.10.5

Post by Ricimer »

I have compiled the hb.dll and handbrakecli.exe on a ubuntu VM, however I do not see the option to use FDK in the gui.

If I try to use the rebuild files with the previous non -1.exe version I get an interop dll error when trying to scan a source folder, although they do work in the current -1.exe build.

I used git to checkout the 0.10.5 tag for the build.

How is it possible to get the FDK option back?
Ricimer

Post by Ricimer »

Using the nightly download for the gui install and then building hb.dll from the current source, the FDK detection works. I'm guessing something is different between the tagged 0.10.5 build and the gui detection.

I'll try again with the next point release and see if I can keep them both to the same release build.
s55
HandBrake Team

Post by s55 »

0.10.5 never interfaced libhb for encoders. So the when the -1 release removed the listing, it removed it for good in 0.10.5

The nightly can check at runtime if it's present.
stryfewalker

Post by stryfewalker »

Will the precompiled nightly build work with a user compiled hb.dll? I followed the Linux instructions and compiled the hb.dll with the fdk-aac switch. It finished and said it was successful but when I try to encode something using the current nightly build GUI (as of yesterday at least) with the replaced newly compiled hb.dll I immediately get an error. It shows an error symbol next to the intended encode in the queue but there is no log or anything to refer to what the error was.

UPDATE:
CQ Encoding seems to work fine and libfdk_aac is showing up as the encoder in the log file so that was a success. However, if I try to use 2-pass encoding, it fails right away, as described above. I'll have to do some more testing and will post in the bugs forum.
Lazyncoder
Novice

Post by Lazyncoder »

I hope someone compile the dll and put it somewhere for all of us to download.
s55
HandBrake Team

Post by s55 »

I would hope no-one is daft enough to do so as FDK is not re-distributable. We cannot have people posting binaries of it on this forum.