No Valid Source Found

HandBrake for Mac support
Forum rules
An Activity Log is required for support requests. Please read How-to get an activity log? for details on how and why this should be provided.
vdaumont

No Valid Source Found

Post by vdaumont »

Running with OS X El Captan 10.11.1 Handbrake 0.10.3 x 86_64. Every DVD I load is giving the message No Valid Source Found. Before the updated version would work great without any issues. Any help???
Ritsuka
HandBrake Team

Re: No Valid Source Found

Post by Ritsuka »

Please post the activity log.
Woodstock
Veteran User

Post by Woodstock »

You are probably relying on a 3rd-party add on to add DVD decryption to your system, and the update to 10.11 OS X blew it away.

Use of a tool intended for dealing with encrypted sources is recommended, then feed the results to handbrake. MakeMKV is one of the options available for OS X, but not the only one.
shuisman

Post by shuisman »

Same problem here at OSX 10.10.5 with Handbrake 0.10.2 x86_64

Activity Log: http://pastebin.com/juyYcNf3
Woodstock
Veteran User

Post by Woodstock »

libdvdread: Encrypted DVD support unavailable.
refer to response above.
johncrane

Post by johncrane »

Have same problem.
Mac Pro Early 2008, El Capitan 10.11.3, handbrake Version 0.10.3 x86_64 (2016012200) VLC Media Player Version 2.2.1 Terry Pratchett (Weatherwax) (Intel 64bit)
Same issue as vdaumont . Worked until updated to new version of Handbrake.
johncrane

Post by johncrane »

Forget Log Paste which is JC No Valid Source Found
s55
HandBrake Team

Post by s55 »

HandBrake is not a ripper. That hasn't changed.

You probably had libdvdcss installed before and no longer do. Either way, it's not recommended and most folk have moved onto using tools such as MakeMKV to rip first.
johncrane

Post by johncrane »

What are the Alternatives to MakeMKV. I tried it and it is incredible slow. What use to take minutes now takes an hour+ for one of my DVDs of a TV show that has 4 42 minute shows on it.
kpflugshaupt
Novice

Post by kpflugshaupt »

johncrane wrote:What are the Alternatives to MakeMKV. I tried it and it is incredible slow. What use to take minutes now takes an hour+ for one of my DVDs of a TV show that has 4 42 minute shows on it.
It's not slow for me at all.

Just used it to copy a Blue-Ray yesterday. 30 GB ripped to MKV in roughly half an hour -- I was pleasantly surprised.
Transcoding the resulting MKV with Handbrake still takes time, but that's (a) not changed vs. earlier and (b) subject to your settings.

If MakeMKV is slow for you, consider asking on its support forums -- it really shouldn't be.
Woodstock
Veteran User

Post by Woodstock »

MakeMKV being fast or slow depends a lot on the drive. If the drive being used has "riplock" firmware, MakeMKV won't rip faster than about 2x speed, and handbrake can often keep up with that. That makes MakeMKV a slower process... in fact, any ripper that hasn't found a way around riplocked firmware will be slower overall than handbrake with the 3rd party library.

If the drive is NOT riplocked, MakeMKV should shorten things up.
Susandra

Post by Susandra »

I'm having the same problem. OS 10.11.3 El Capitan and 0.10.3 x86_64 of Handbrake. I'm trying to convert a .mov file into an .mp4 to no avail. Activity log: http://pastebin.com/nJ0NsvTU
mduell
Veteran User

Post by mduell »

The source you selected is a powerpoint file, not a .mov.
Susandra

Post by Susandra »

Yesterday, I did accidentally chose the wrong file, a .ppt, but (as per line 72) then I selected the .mov file I had made from it. It didn't work. Today I *definitely* selected a .mov file. Still doesn't work:
http://pastebin.com/S9FTP6ba
s55
HandBrake Team

Post by s55 »

It's in an unsupported format I'm afraid.
Deleted User 11865

Post by Deleted User 11865 »

We should be able to decode the qtrle track, but there are two other video streams which are both marked as default for some reason.

Could you upload the file somewhere (Dropbox etc.) so we can take a look at it?