Handbrake Wishlist

Archive of historical feature requests.
Please use the GitHub link above to report issues.
Forum rules
Please be aware we are now using GitHub for issue tracking and feature requests.
- This section of the forum is now closed to new topics.

GhostMotleyX

Handbrake Wishlist

Post by GhostMotleyX »

Please describe what you would like to see added to HandBrake:
#1 CUDA or NVENC Acceleration
#2 VP9 Support

Why would you like to see this added:
#1 It would drastically decrease render times, while only losing a small amount of quality (especially when using slower presets)
#2 YouTube currently doesn't support H.265 whereas they do support VP9

What version of HandBrake are you currently running:
0.10.2.7286 64bit version

What operating system and version and you currently running (e.g. OSX 10.11, Windows 7, Ubuntu 14):
Windows 10 64bit Build 10162
s55
HandBrake Team

Re: Handbrake Wishlist

Post by s55 »

#1 CUDA has been replaced by NVENC so there is no point adding that. As for NVENC, there is no license compatible version with the GPL so can't be added. No idea if this will ever change.
#2 VP9 is planned but not until the libvpx encoder matures. See viewtopic.php?f=26&t=27343&p=149331&hilit=vp9#p149331 Not anticipating it'll be fast enough to add this in the near future.
gmb
Bright Spark User

Post by gmb »

What about VP9 encode from Skylake?

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-9VZ3CTkYiFI/V ... 1600/2.png
s55
HandBrake Team

Post by s55 »

Not really helpful when you want the encoder to be available to everyone.
GhostMotleyX

Post by GhostMotleyX »

s55 wrote:Not really helpful when you want the encoder to be available to everyone.
Thanks for the reply, still though if they can put any type of Hardware Acceleration into Handbrake I think they should, even if it won't be available to everyone at-least those with the hardware would be able to render videos much faster, 2 hours for a 20 minute video kills me on the inside. That is with DXVA enabled as well
I have an
Intel Xeon E3-1225 v3
8GB RAM
GTX 970
mduell
Veteran User

Post by mduell »

GhostMotleyX wrote:
s55 wrote:Not really helpful when you want the encoder to be available to everyone.
Thanks for the reply, still though if they can put any type of Hardware Acceleration into Handbrake I think they should, even if it won't be available to everyone at-least those with the hardware would be able to render videos much faster
License-compatible patches and ongoing support are welcome.
s55
HandBrake Team

Post by s55 »

2 hours for a 20 minute video kills me on the inside. That is with DXVA enabled as well
Turn of DXVA. I'd wager if it's being used, it'll be far far slower than deciding on that CPU.

Given DXVA is only used in a subset of situations, it may also just not be active, in which case it makes 0 difference to performance.

It's only really useful for low end hardware. Higher end hardware is faster so bottle-necks on it.
falkor

Post by falkor »

s55 wrote:#1 CUDA has been replaced by NVENC so there is no point adding that. As for NVENC, there is no license compatible version with the GPL so can't be added. No idea if this will ever change.
#2 VP9 is planned but not until the libvpx encoder matures. See viewtopic.php?f=26&t=27343&p=149331&hilit=vp9#p149331 Not anticipating it'll be fast enough to add this in the near future.
Just found this topic. Could you please elaborate on how the libvpx encoder needs to "mature"? Where does the limitation lie exactly? And what does this have to do with speed? The H.265 encoder is currently quite slow as we know, but at least gets the job done.
JohnAStebbins
HandBrake Team

Post by JohnAStebbins »

falkor wrote: Just found this topic. Could you please elaborate on how the libvpx encoder needs to "mature"? Where does the limitation lie exactly? And what does this have to do with speed? The H.265 encoder is currently quite slow as we know, but at least gets the job done.
For constant quality encoding (the default mode for all of HandBrake's presets) libvpx is more than 3 times slower than x265. x265 is already slow enough to be borderline in usefulness.

For average bitrate encoding, libvpx is a little over 2 times slower than x265.
viewtopic.php?f=26&t=27343&p=149331&hilit=vp9#p149331
JohnAStebbins
HandBrake Team

Post by JohnAStebbins »

I forgot to mention, x265 can be made to encode quite a lot faster. I used essentially default settings for each encoder in my tests. x265 gets much faster when using it's "ultrafast" preset. There is a lot of flexibility in x265 to select the speed vs. quality vs. filesize compromise. It's preset and tune options make this easy. libvpx on the other hand is difficult to tweak and does not get all that much faster with different settings.

These are all things that I would expect to get better with maturity.
Bamf

Post by Bamf »

Hello, my wish for Handbrake currently is just 1 thing, ability to merge files with it.
s55
HandBrake Team

Post by s55 »

We've stated on numerous ocassions that file merge won't happen.