Missing output file name error

Discussion of the HandBrake command line interface (CLI)
Forum rules
An Activity Log is required for support requests. Please read How-to get an activity log? for details on how and why this should be provided.
kdx7214

Missing output file name error

Post by kdx7214 »

Just updated to the most recent (stable, I assume) handbrakecli.exe from the main download page. When I run the following command I get the "Missing output file name" error. I took a bit of time to dig through the code and it looks like everything needed is present, so what am I missing?

Command line:

HandbrakeCLI.exe -i "F:\" -t 49 --angle 1 -o "\\mythtv\storage\videos\movie.mkv" -f mkv -w 720 --loose-anamorphic --modulus 2 -e x264 -q 20 --vfr -a 1 -E faac -6 dpl2 -R auto -B 160 -D 0 --gain 0 --audio-fallback ffac3 --encoder-preset=veryfast --encoder-level="4.0" --encoder-profile=main --verbose=2 --no-dvdnav

I've tried various combinations and changes but cannot for the life of me figure out why this isn't working. Any thoughts?

Note: I have to use --no-dvdnav on this one due to some sort of bug in dvdnav
Woodstock
Veteran User

Re: Missing output file name error

Post by Woodstock »

Have you tried mapping the resource to a drive letter?

This may have been fixed, but the Windows CLI used to have an issue with files not on drive letters. The test would be to map \\mythtv\storage to, say, "M:", and see if "M:\videos\movie.mkv" works as an output file.
kdx7214

Post by kdx7214 »

Ok, I just tried that and no go. It still says the output file name is missing, even though it is quite obviously there.
mduell
Veteran User

Post by mduell »

Still no logs, eh? Bold move, cotton.
kdx7214

Post by kdx7214 »

What logs? It's the command line version and it never gets far enough to give a log of any kind. Just one line that says "Missing output fie name" and aborts back to the command prompt. I guess I can get you a screen capture if that is really necessary to prove it.
kdx7214

Post by kdx7214 »

Here, the "log" file it gives:

http://imgur.com/ZLmfLwI
rollin_eng
Veteran User

Post by rollin_eng »

Try removing the quotes from your input.
kdx7214

Post by kdx7214 »

The quotes shouldn't make any difference as they are interpreted by the command interpreter for separation of command line parameters before Handbrake gets hold of it. DId try it though and still did not work.

Obviously there is something either not quite right, or something important that isn't documented.
rollin_eng
Veteran User

Post by rollin_eng »

Could you post your output?

Also try "F:\\" as input.
kdx7214

Post by kdx7214 »

I *did* post the output in the above screen capture. However, I tried the double backslash and that worked. Now the big question, why does this command need the double backslash and none of the other roughly 700 or so of them don't? I don't get it lol
rollin_eng
Veteran User

Post by rollin_eng »

I meant the output after you removed the quotes. Don't know why this would be different from any other encode, maybe post logs so we can see.
AlBundy
Bright Spark User

Post by AlBundy »

Try to remove the \ from your input - maybe it's an escaping issue.

Al
Deleted User 11865

Post by Deleted User 11865 »

Just FWIW guys, the error message is that the output file is missing, not invalid. If you look at the code, the output is not parsed at this point, all we check for is that it's non-NULL string with as length of 1 or more.
AlBundy wrote:Try to remove the \ from your input - maybe it's an escaping issue.

Al
Good catch, that's the only thing that makes sense here, at least as far as I can tell.
Woodstock
Veteran User

Post by Woodstock »

For what it is worth, the old queue manager would generate CLI lines like this:

Code: Select all

"C:\Program Files\Handbrake\HandBrakeCLI.exe" -i D:\ -t 11 -c 1-50 -o "v:\test\test.mkv" ... 
No quotes around the input path... no need, because there are no spaces or special characters.
AlBundy
Bright Spark User

Post by AlBundy »

But sometimes you have spaces and have to quote the parameters.

Maybe / instead of \ will work too.

Al
rollin_eng
Veteran User

Post by rollin_eng »

I think the quotes are fine, you just cant have a single \ as the last character within them
rollin_eng
Veteran User

Post by rollin_eng »

kdx7214 wrote:The quotes shouldn't make any difference as they are interpreted by the command interpreter for separation of command line parameters before Handbrake gets hold of it. DId try it though and still did not work.

Obviously there is something either not quite right, or something important that isn't documented.
Could you post your log where you removed the quotes from your input and it still gave you the error?
busthead

Post by busthead »

Hello, I experienced the same issue. The first command below doesn't work but the second does.

for /d /r %%a in (VIDEO_TS\) do if exist "%%a" "C:\Program Files\Handbrake\HandBrakeCLI.exe" -Z "Fast 1080p30" -i "%%a" -o "%%atemp.m4v"

for /d /r %%a in (VIDEO_TS\) do if exist "%%a" "C:\Program Files\Handbrake\HandBrakeCLI.exe" -Z "Fast 1080p30" -i "%%a\" -o "%%atemp.m4v"

Not being able to specify an input ending with \ seems like a bug to me but maybe I'm missing something. I'm new here.

Thx
Deleted User 11865

Post by Deleted User 11865 »