Too many titles!

HandBrake for Windows support
Forum rules
An Activity Log is required for support requests. Please read How-to get an activity log? for details on how and why this should be provided.
PurplePhlox15

Too many titles!

Post by PurplePhlox15 »

Sorry if this isn't the correct location for this, but I'm having trouble with some discs showing way more titles than they actually have. The discs are both discs from Season 1 of the Legend of Korra, and when I scan them in Handbrake, it shows 99 titles, even though there are only 6 episodes per disc. When looking through the titles, I see a lot of repeats. This wouldn't be a big deal if when I actually rip them they didn't skip around, but when I actually play the videos to see how they turn out, some scenes are repeated while others are completely missing. And on top of that, some videos end up showing a longer time in the player than they did in handbrake (a 24 min clip in handbrake turns out to be 30 mins in media player). I don't know if this is a problem with the disc or if it's handbrake, but I'm a little frustrated, especially because the discs for the other seasons of Korra work perfectly. I'm very stumped and I hope someone knows a solution to this!
Woodstock
Veteran User

Re: Too many titles!

Post by Woodstock »

A number of vendors have started putting "fake titles" on their disks, but Bluray and DVD. Utilities intended for ripping disks (handbrake is NOT) are better set up for dealing with these disks, but you still have to find which files are correct.

There are Youtube videos on how to use tools available on Windows to figure out which titles are real and which aren't. Plug "bluray playlist obfuscation youtube" into your favorite search engine, and learn.
wzrdstm

Post by wzrdstm »

Did anyone ever find a solution for this? I followed the advice above and found some YT videos on it, but they were all for Bluray, not standard DVDs. Even following the advice on YT, I didn't see where they could tell which ones were real or not.
Woodstock
Veteran User

Post by Woodstock »

Over on the MakeMKV forum, DVD Lionsgate titles are often sniffed out by people who rip all versions and compare the scene progression with a known-good source, like a rental stream. Allegedly, the correct title should be available by analyzing the DVD menu, but I haven't seen anyone come up with a newbie-friendly way to do that.
wzrdstm

Post by wzrdstm »

After some Google-Fu, I finally found what I believe is a solution and it is infuriatingly simple. Just use Windows Media Player. Play the movie on Media Player. Navigate the movie per usual and play the episode or special feature or whatever it is you want, then while that is playing go back to the navigation pane and it will tell you which title it is playing. Then go back to Handbrake and find that title.
sirloyne

Post by sirloyne »

An easy way to solve this problem is to install Media Player Classic. You can either get it on it's own, or with the K-Lite Codec Pack. Anyway, once it's installed, you can play the episode you want and it will tell you what the title number is in the information box under the video.
DrXenos
Bright Spark User

Post by DrXenos »

There are several ways of dealing with this that I've found useful:
1. Rip the disc with AnyDVD. The correct mpls will often be in the disc.inf file the tool creates.
2. Load up the original disc in MakeMKV and it will often tell you the correct mpls.
3. Play the disc with PowerDVD, VLC, etc. and look at what mpls file it loads via Process Monitor (free tool from Microsoft's website). It must be the original disc, not a rip or copy. I've found it's often smart enough to still mislead you, if the disc isn't the original. You can filter out all the noise by telling it to filter on names that end in ".mpls".