import/export chapter timestamps

Archive of historical feature requests.
Please use the GitHub link above to report issues.
Forum rules
Please be aware we are now using GitHub for issue tracking and feature requests.
- This section of the forum is now closed to new topics.

Djfe
Bright Spark User

import/export chapter timestamps

Post by Djfe »

this would be a really neat feature in combination with third party software that is used for cutting

according to your wiki https://trac.handbrake.fr/wiki/ChapterMarkers the current file format only supports chapter names

I would be very glad if you could enhance this by allowing to add timestamps after the chaptername (separated by a commas)

right now I need to add chapters after I encoded the file with handbrake by using mp4box which is another editing step that consumes time
Djfe
Bright Spark User

Re: import/export chapter timestamps

Post by Djfe »

what do you think about this?
WhosAsking

Post by WhosAsking »

As I understand it, the feature is only implemented for sources that include chapter information in them. If you can repackage your source into something like a Matroska, a possible workaround would be to insert chapter data into the Matroska using mkvmerge's chapter editor, then use the Matroska as your source for encoding. Since the source will have internal chaptering, the chapters will appear in Handbrake, and you'll be able to translate the result into your final encode, this time with correct keyframing. I've done this once or twice myself to custom-chapter unchaptered sources.
nhyone
Bright Spark User

Post by nhyone »

As WhosAsking said, it works for MKV. The downside is an extra merging step and disk space.

However, there were a couple of times I wanted to add chapters to a DVD source before encoding. I don't know if it is still makes a difference in HB 0.10.2, but in 0.9.9, HB will encode an I-frame at chapter stops, so we can jump to that frame quickly.
WhosAsking

Post by WhosAsking »

nhyone wrote:However, there were a couple of times I wanted to add chapters to a DVD source before encoding. I don't know if it is still makes a difference in HB 0.10.2, but in 0.9.9, HB will encode an I-frame at chapter stops, so we can jump to that frame quickly.
It still does because it's needed for proper chapter seeking. I see your point because you can't go straight from DVD to Matroska with custom chaptering (Handbrake will always use the DVD's chaptering). So the only practical solution I can see will involve dedicating space to an intermediary encode (as long as it's superior to your desired end product, you'll minimize generation loss) and then edit the chapters in the intermediate file before a final encode.
BradleyS

Post by BradleyS »

Expanding chapter import/export to include times/durations is a good idea. Unfortunately, it requires some fairly major work to implement "under the hood". So while we aren't ignoring or rejecting this request, it's difficult and at the moment, low priority.
Deleted User 13735

Post by Deleted User 13735 »

You can write an excel macro to do the tedious part, then import the chapter info in Drax for Windows.