Memory leak no more!

General questions or discussion about HandBrake, Video and/or audio transcoding, trends etc.
baggss

Memory leak no more!

Post by baggss »

I can say that I am noticing the fact that the memory leak that plagued HB is gone in MF. Normally when I opened HB and started adding titles to be ripped my free memory would dwindle rapidly and then end up with none by the time I actually hit start.

With MF I have 1Gb of open RAM and it's not being eaten away as the rip is going on. I never had any real crashing issues with HB, but it's nice to see the difference so blatant in the Activity Monitor in the dock.

As a comparison, I just opened HB a5 PPC and it instantly ate half my available RAM. When I queued up some episodes, it ate another 25%...
thanar

Post by thanar »

Um... still memory hungry for me. Just the way you described it, while scanning the titles! PPC build.
Thierry

Post by Thierry »

Hello both, I just downloaded the Universal binary version of MediaFork. I'm planning on trying it today or tomorrow. I would like to see if it's "Memory Hungry". Do you know how to check this out on an Intel MacBook Pro?
Thanks
Thierry
baggss

Post by baggss »

thanar wrote:Um... still memory hungry for me. Just the way you described it, while scanning the titles! PPC build.
Try the Universal build. The difference has been distinctly noticeable to me. While the memory usage would creep up during the rip, it never maxed out and the used memory was released during the rip as it went.

I suppose maybe what I am thinking was the memory issue really was not, I'm not a programmer so I am guessing (perhaps incorrectly) here.
dynaflash
Veteran User

Post by dynaflash »

thanar wrote:Um... still memory hungry for me. Just the way you described it, while scanning the titles! PPC build.
Thanar, there should be no ppc build off the website. Only Universal. Do you maybe have one of the 0.7.1a5 or so HB builds we let out a few months ago ?

The current one should have come on a disk image. Check the about. It should say MediaFork 0.8.0b1

If it doesnt, you arent using the current MediaFork.
RTouris

Post by RTouris »

dynaflash wrote:
Thanar, there should be no ppc build off the website. Only Universal. Do you maybe have one of the 0.7.1a5 or so HB builds we let out a few months ago ?

The current one should have come on a disk image. Check the about. It should say MediaFork 0.8.0b1

I think he meant to say that he is using the Universal build (since there is no other but the universal officially released as of yet, neither will there be a PPC-only version I reckon, there's obviously no need for one), on a PPC machine (an iBook afaik)...
golias
Enlightened

Post by golias »

RTouris wrote:
dynaflash wrote:

I think he meant to say that he is using the Universal build (since there is no other but the universal officially released as of yet, neither will there be a PPC-only version I reckon, there's obviously no need for one), on a PPC machine (an iBook afaik)...
There was a PPC-only build around here at one point. I know because I tried it out a little bit.

It was taken down from general availability when a Digg link took the whole site down, and the devs never really meant for that version to be seen by the general public in the first place.

But there still are a few copies of it floating around out there, I'm sure.
thanar

Post by thanar »

RTouris, right on the spot!