Queue All (or Auto-Queue with options)

Archive of historical feature requests.
Please use the GitHub link above to report issues.
Forum rules
Please be aware we are now using GitHub for issue tracking and feature requests.
- This section of the forum is now closed to new topics.

db5

Queue All (or Auto-Queue with options)

Post by db5 »

Currently, if you have a DVD with several tracks you'd like to keep (e.g. the main movie, the various DVD goodies, etc.) it's a somewhat laborious process to queue all these up.

I'd like to be able to insert a DVD that has lots of tracks and be able to quickly queue all (or most) of them. Obviously that would require that you set your directory of where they will go, and have the tracks automatically named based on perhaps the first file path.

You could queue all tracks, or perhaps the user could specify a time threshold at which tracks are ignored, so you can skip the minor tracks.
Peter000

Post by Peter000 »

Great idea! :)

This would especially be useful for converting TV shows where there are multiple eps on a DVD.
kneeslasher
Experienced

Post by kneeslasher »

Hear hear.

The other day, I was ripping some of my Pink Panther DVDs. There are over 100 episodes. Imagine the work that could have been saved...
mistrrhappy

Post by mistrrhappy »

In the past, I have used a piece of Windows-only software from Xilisoft called iPod Video Converter. It would automatically queue all tracks for ripping with check boxes next to each, enabling you to select the chapters for inclusion. This feature made ripping specific chapters a total breeze. This is very handy if your source is a compilation such as a tv series, (Justice League, Aeon Flux) or 'ahem' - adult content , with dozens of chapters. Again- Handbrake is absolutely fantastic, and I really won't go back to Windows for this one thing- but it sure would be a nice feature to have, wouldn't it?
nuditarian

Methods

Post by nuditarian »

I've always wished this were present, as with good flicks I never can pick and choose what to ditch, so I end up just keeping the full DVD.

As far as the ultimate, I would think best case would be to parse the IFO(Thats the menu right?), creating a folder structure that matched the DVD menu structure, so a DVD menu item called "Play Movie" would result in a "Play Movie" folder with the ripped main feature inside.

Only kink I could see was if there are ever features that don't have a menu connection, but that doesn't seem like it would be likely.
jphastings

Post by jphastings »

I'd love to see a version of this - maybe an extra drawer/panel that allows users to select multiple titles on a disc and add all of them to the queue with the same settings at once. (with a number after the title to allow people to distinguish)

Still waiting in desperation for the matroska guys to sort out a menuing system so we can rip a whole DVD, titles and all into one container...

Ideally I'd like handbrake to contact a server, grab episode names and put them into the filenames of each episode on Series DVDs, but next it'd be reading email ne?

Is the simple feature I described at the top feasible?
milo

Post by milo »

This would be a very useful feature, especially with disks of many short things like music videos or cartoons.

More options could be nice (window with checkboxes and select/deselect all?), but even a basic "add all titles to queue" as either a button, menu option, or item in the title popup menu would be hugely helpful.

My apologies if this is already being worked on, I didn't see it in the list of planned features.a

Cheers on the latest release, the app is looking great.
jbrjake
Veteran User

Post by jbrjake »

The problem with blindly sending all titles to the queue with the same settings is that it's extremely-rare-to-nonexistent for every title on a DVD to require exactly the same settings....or for someone to even want every title on a DVD.
milo

Post by milo »

Maybe for you, but I do it all the time. Just to be clear we're not asking for it to default to selecting all, just to have the option for those who want it. If I have a disk with 10 episodes of a TV show, they all use the same settings. And if I don't want all of them but want most, I can always remove the couple I don't want easily from the queue.

It would be great to have a more fully featured selection option, but if it's quicker and easier for the guys programming to just do a simple "add all", I'd be fine with that.
dynaflash
Veteran User

Post by dynaflash »

milo wrote:Maybe for you, but I do it all the time. It's not like we're asking for it to default to selecting all or something, just to have the option. If I have a disk with 10 episodes of a TV show, they all use the same settings. And if I don't want all of them but want most, I can always remove the couple I don't want easily from the queue.

It would be great to have a more fully featured selection option, but if it's quicker and easier for the guys programming to just do a simple "add all", I'd be fine with that.
Frankly, we have bigger fish to fry right now. Thats just the truth of it. So, in lieu of us stopping to implement this feature, here is the fastest way to accomplish what you are looking to do with the current macgui:

1. In preferences, turn on Auto Naming (automatically uses the dvd name and title number for the output name, this avoids having to rename each title so HB doesnt overwrite your previous encode as they come off the queue).

2. Open Source

3. Click "Add to Queue"

4. Select New Title in title dropdown (presumably the next one down)

5. Click "Add to Queue

6 Repeat steps 4 - 5 over and over until you run out of titles. Or optionally load up a new source and do the same.

7. Click "Start"

Now, admittedly, I have outlined 7 steps, but you figure step 1 is a one time shot, 2 you would have to do anyway, and 3 and 5 are the same just restated in a loop.

So, the way I see it, to do what you want with the current rev, should just take steps 4 and 5 for each title over and over, so thats two click per title.

Granted, its laborous, but for now, you will unfortunately have to just grin and bear it. :)
jbrjake
Veteran User

Post by jbrjake »

milo wrote:Maybe for you, but I do it all the time. It's not like we're asking for it to default to selecting all or something, just to have the option. If I have a disk with 10 episodes of a TV show, they all use the same settings.
Yes, but you're not the person who gets to enjoy all the user complaints when adding every title gives them, in addition to the 10 episodes they want, the all-10-episodes-in-one jumbo title, a separate title with just the credits, a promotional video or two, introductory logo material for the publisher, and half a dozen bloopers, extras, and cast interviews which run at different frame rates or use different frame cadences as well as different cropping and frame sizes. And what do you do when cropping changes between episodes? And what do you do when different episodes were produced differently so they don't all run at the same speed or use the same aspect ratio? What do you do with discs where some titles are repeated? Can you not understand how this would be a support nightmare, with angry users demanding to know why we included a "broken" feature and insisting it should do all the work for them?

If there was room in the Mac GUI for a list of all titles with checkboxes to select them, the way IHB is set up, it would be there.
milo

Post by milo »

I think it would be a shame to not add a useful feature just because some people might complain that it doesn't do more.

In situations where different titles need to be handled differently, they can be added and tweaked manually just like they are now. Or if the ALL feature adds them to the queue, unwanted tracks can be deleted there. In my experience, the vast majority of disks I've encountered that would benefit from an ALL feature don't have any of the problems you listed above. If there's really a big concern that people would expect different settings somehow on an "add all", just put in a warning box that says that doing it rips all with the same settings, user beware. If more detail is needed, that's what FAQs are for. I do understand that there is the potential for users complaining, but that's a possibility with the addition of any feature. I just don't think it would be a "nightmare", especially if there was a FAQ or other section of the documentation people with questions could be referred to.

dynaflash, thanks for your response and tips, that's pretty much what I'm doing now. I'm glad you acknowledge that a feature like this is a potential timesaver in some situations. I realize that you guys have a lot on your plate, and I wouldn't expect this to happen at the expense of more important features. But it would be very useful for a number of users, and if you guys could consider it as a possible feature in a future release, that would be great.

Thanks.
dynaflash
Veteran User

Post by dynaflash »

milo wrote:dynaflash, thanks for your response and tips, that's pretty much what I'm doing now. I'm glad you acknowledge that a feature like this is a potential timesaver in some situations.
Turning on Auto Naming in the prefs is what makes it faster, it saves the step of changing the name of the output file each time.

Seriously though, please dont hold your breath on this one. It is fairly low on the priority list to be honest.
dynaflash
Veteran User

Post by dynaflash »

milo wrote:If there's really a big concern that people would expect different settings somehow on an "add all", just put in a warning box that says that doing it rips all with the same settings, user beware. If more detail is needed, that's what FAQs are for. I do understand that there is the potential for users complaining, but that's a possibility with the addition of any feature. I just don't think it would be a "nightmare", especially if there was a FAQ or other section of the documentation people with questions could be referred to.
Oh, and with all due respect milo, you couldn't be further from the truth. Almost no one reads the documentation. If you do, then you are in the vast minority. And yes, it would be a complete support nightmare, I am afraid.
milo

Post by milo »

dynaflash wrote:Turning on Auto Naming in the prefs is what makes it faster, it saves the step of changing the name of the output file each time.
True, it does save some time, but a select all feature would save even more. Just curious, has there been *any* discussion on the team about potentially adding this? Is it a low priority or has it been completely ruled out?
dynaflash wrote:Oh, and with all due respect milo, you couldn't be further from the truth. Almost no one reads the documentation. If you do, then you are in the vast minority. And yes, it would be a complete support nightmare, I am afraid.
Sorry I wasn't clear. I didn't mean that people read the documentation, I just meant that if adding this feature caused a question to be asked frequently, the response could simply be to point them to the answer in a FAQ.
dynaflash
Veteran User

Post by dynaflash »

milo wrote:ust curious, has there been *any* discussion on the team about potentially adding this? Is it a low priority or has it been completely ruled out?
No, not really. As I said, I wouldn't hold your breath ;)
milo

Post by milo »

Thanks for the info. I'm not getting my hopes up, but maybe someone on the team will see the value in it and implement it someday. You guys have done a great job so far, I hope you continue to develop based on making the app the best it can be and not based on fears that someone might ask for support.

Cheers.
molti

Post by molti »

milo wrote:This would be a very useful feature, especially with disks of many short things like music videos or cartoons.

More options could be nice (window with checkboxes and select/deselect all?), but even a basic "add all titles to queue" as either a button, menu option, or item in the title popup menu would be hugely helpful.

Cheers on the latest release, the app is looking great.

+ my voice for this checkboxes selection feature...
APPLE SHIFT click any checkbox could select all, SHIFT CLICK select/deselects any from selected...

Another similar way to get by would be a checkbox : MAKE EACH CHAPTER AN INDIVIDUAL FILE named by chapter name... as I mentioned in my post "AUDIO VOLUME adj..,"

Just some ideas, I know, I am not gonna do the programming, so it is easy to add features... ;-)
leon

Post by leon »

dynaflash wrote:[snip]

1. In preferences, turn on Auto Naming (automatically uses the dvd name and title number for the output name, this avoids having to rename each title so HB doesnt overwrite your previous encode as they come off the queue).
If Auto Naming includes both title and chapter number in the output name then that might solve my needs per the other topic, here:

http://handbrake.m0k.org/forum/viewtopi ... 74?p=15113

Really, the option to write separate movie files for each chapter would be the best solution for my needs. In lieu of that, an "Auto Naming" feature that based names on both title and chapter would help. In lieu of that a utility to split a movie at chapter markers into individual files.

In this case, "arguments" about different encoding from title to title do not apply -- it's chapter to chapter -- and if HB is suffering from any ill-effects of changes from chapter to chapter, the output it writes today is already "broken" ... I just want the output in separate files. (Broken or not). :-D

Cheers!
\Leon
rhester
Veteran User

Post by rhester »

You understand HandBrake today has a nasty tendency to truncate the last 30-some-odd seconds of video, right? By doing this chapter-by-chapter, with that bug, I don't think you're going to be happy with the results.

Rodney