Deinterlacing BBC Doco's from 1080i

General questions or discussion about HandBrake, Video and/or audio transcoding, trends etc.
fatpizza

Deinterlacing BBC Doco's from 1080i

Post by fatpizza »

Can anyone comment on what they found were the best deinterlacing settings for BBC documentaries like Frozen Planet etc.? I'm ripping my BD's for convenience sake.
Should I use BOB whilst setting the frame rate to a constant 50fps? Or is there a better alternative?
Deleted User 13735

Re: Deinterlacing BBC Doco's from 1080i

Post by Deleted User 13735 »

Depends. My friends across the pond tell me those old BBC tapes are every which-way.
Smithcraft
Veteran User

Post by Smithcraft »

For one thing, make sure you're using a current nightly or the 0.10 release as it, IIRC, can handle the interlaced VC-1 source that BBC loves so much.

SC
fatpizza

Post by fatpizza »

Sort of a necrobump in regards to this. If I choose bob as the deinterlace/decomb method and set the output to constant 50fps there seems to be an issue where each frame is jumping backwards and forwards like the wrong field is being deinterlaced first. Only happens to VC-1 interlaced. AVC works fine. Using latest beta etc. on Windows 7 64-bit... Always did the same thing on older stable versions too. MPC deinterlaces it correctly when playing the 'before encode' file, but when stepping through frames with the 'after encode' file it steps forwards then backwards all the time.

Here is a sample of the video before encoding:
http://www.filedropper.com/beforeencode

Here is a sample after encoding:
http://www.filedropper.com/afterencode

Here is the encode log:
http://pastebin.com/D3ixgP8G
mduell
Veteran User

Post by mduell »

Code: Select all

[22:07:38] render: 498 frames output, 0 dropped and 54 duped for CFR/PFR
Don't force a constant framerate, it's having to dupe frames. Just pick 50 as the peak framerate.
fatpizza

Post by fatpizza »

mduell wrote:

Code: Select all

[22:07:38] render: 498 frames output, 0 dropped and 54 duped for CFR/PFR
Don't force a constant framerate, it's having to dupe frames. Just pick 50 as the peak framerate.
Thanks for the reply, but I'm fine with it duplicating some frames. When I use a variable/peak framerate XBMC/KODI has issues keeping audio and video in sync so I leave it at constant. Anyway constant framerate and duplicate frames are not the problem here, if you go by the encoded video frame by frame it's stepping forwards and backwards all the time. I just tried doing an encode choosing peak framerate and it displays the exact same behaviour as I described.