MP4 Subtitles on OSX Yosemite

HandBrake for Mac support
Forum rules
An Activity Log is required for support requests. Please read How-to get an activity log? for details on how and why this should be provided.
rb0

MP4 Subtitles on OSX Yosemite

Post by rb0 »

I can only choose one subtitle when MP4 is selected as the file format and the Burned In flag is "hard enabled".
Any chance to have multiple soft subs in a MP4 file?
Deleted User 11865

Re: MP4 Subtitles on OSX Yosemite

Post by Deleted User 11865 »

Not if the subtitles are on Blu-ray; there's no way to store them in an MP4 file.
mduell
Veteran User

Post by mduell »

I have no problem selecting multiple soft subtitles when MP4 is selected.

Gosh, if only there was like some way to see what kind of subtitles you're working with... or even what version of the program you're using... some sort of "log" telling us about your source... huh, that'd be crazy to require for all support requests.
dgarmaise

Post by dgarmaise »

I am trying hard code subtitles (srt file) into movie that is in MKV format, using handbrake 10.0. When I select "burned in" the subtitles are not actually burned in. I found instructions in a few places on the Internet for how to do this with Handbrake 0.92, but the interface is different than Handbrake 10.0. I would appreciate some guidance.
mduell
Veteran User

Post by mduell »

Start your own topic with your encode log.
dgarmaise

Post by dgarmaise »

My apologies. I had not read the forum rules. I have difficulty understanding all of the instructions concerning activity log and encode log. I thought that my question was a pretty simple one. But I appear to be out of my depth here. I am sorry for having wasted your time. I will try to find an answer elsewhere.
mduell
Veteran User

Post by mduell »

If you can't follow the links to find your activity logs, you're going to have a very hard time getting help on the internet.
dgarmaise

Post by dgarmaise »

Thanks for taking the time to respond, mduell. I seem to have done okay in the past finding solutions to problems on the Internet. It was the instructions on this forum that I found confusing and overly technical for what I thought was a simple question. It appears that with earlier editions of Handbrake, one could hard code subtitles into a mkv file. I found instructions on how to do that. But the interface in Handbrake 10 has changed and I haven't been able to figure out how to hard code the subtitles in Handbrake 10. I was hoping someone would have an answer about how to do that. I appreciate that many technical issues require technical information to solve. I did not think that my question was that technical. Perhaps I was wrong about that.
mduell
Veteran User

Post by mduell »

You're still wrong and still need to start your own thread. With logs.
Smithcraft
Veteran User

Post by Smithcraft »

The problem is that the MP4 container is very limited in what it supports. If you had posted your encode log, we would be able to tell you if it was a bug in Handbrake, or a limitation of the MP4 container, or a library lacking in your current install of the OS.

Help us to help you. Or don't. It's your choice.

SC
dgarmaise

Post by dgarmaise »

Hi, guys. I solved my problem with the instructions here:
http://www.epinionated.net/handbrake-bu ... -apple-tv/

Really sorry to have bothered you. I understand where you are coming from. If I post regarding another problem, I'll follow proper procedure.