HandBrake 0.10.0 Discussion Thread

General questions or discussion about HandBrake, Video and/or audio transcoding, trends etc.
Holymoly75

Re: HandBrake 0.10.0 Discussion Thread

Post by Holymoly75 »

Hi guys, for some reason the new version 0.10.0 RECODES externally added SRT subs to ASS automaticly.
Why oh why has this been changed?
Is there a way so I can go back to the prior settings?
I simply want SRT to remain SRT. This works perfectly in the MKV container.

Many media players HATE the ASS subs.
VLC craches very often because of this.
Plex Home Theather for Mac does NOT play the ASS subs.

Now I will have to start using MKV Toolnix again to manually add the SRT after the video recoding.

Why has this been changed?
JohnAStebbins
HandBrake Team

Post by JohnAStebbins »

Please open your own thread for this. It is likely to turn into a longer conversation and we should not polute this thread with it.

It was changed because it simplifies a lot of code and allows use of libass for all types of text subtitle burn-in.

What version of VLC are you using? I have had absolutely no issues with VLC and ASS subs. I can't comment on Plex, but maybe someone else on the forums can test this to confirm the problem and report back.
bitemark

Post by bitemark »

Argh, I see the Xbox 360 preset was removed on this install.

I'm not even sure how the previous one was set up. Can anyone tell me what settings I'd need? Or is there a preset I can import?
moneymatt4life
Veteran User

Post by moneymatt4life »

there was a dedicated 360 preset? never knew lol

well anyways, 360 is supposed to support mp4 up to High Profile and up to level 4.1 with 2ch AAC audio, max of 30fps for 1080p obviously... does it support 60fps for 720p and below? i don't know if AC3 is supported in mp4 as i don't own one...
for a preset, you can use the basic high profile preset... or whatever preset you want really(?) so long as level doesn't go past 4.1...
Deleted User 11865

Post by Deleted User 11865 »

bitemark wrote:Argh, I see the Xbox 360 preset was removed on this install.
More like several years ago. IIRC one of the caveats is it doesn't support non-square pixels (such as found on DVD and on standard definition extra features on Blu-ray) if you use High Profile H.264. So you'd want to use High Profile for HD, and Main Profile for SD. Can't remember about AC-3, but chapters and TX3G text subtitles definitely aren't supported.
Hanbrakeur
Experienced

Post by Hanbrakeur »

Hello and congratulations for making such a fantastic piece of software.

Are there any known issues in enabling QuickSync ? Usually, the drawback of GPU acceleration is a loss of quality but nothing was mentionned about that in the release notes. Does it mean that there are no disadvantagesin using QuickSync over 100% CPU processing ?

Thanks.
s55
HandBrake Team

Post by s55 »

There are pros and cons to quicksync, like very other encoder HandBrake has. It all depends on what you are trying to achieve and what hardware you already have.
kal9000

Post by kal9000 »

I noticed some jittering on encodes done by version 10. It seems to add (or duplicate) a frame every few frames. Have tried Constant, variable and all kinds of different frame rates, still same problem. Reinstalled 0.9.9.5530 and the problem disappeared. Just to make sure, I completely uninstalled then clean installed version 0.10.0 and the problem resurfaced. Am I the only one or is it a bug in the new version?
BradleyS

Post by BradleyS »

kal9000 wrote:I noticed some jittering on encodes done by version 10. [...] Am I the only one or is it a bug in the new version?
Sorry to hear you're having trouble. Please start a thread in the Windows forum viewforum.php?f=11, if you don't mind. Make sure to read the notice in red at the top and provide the appropriate activity log.
kal9000

Post by kal9000 »

Sorry to hear you're having trouble. Please start a thread in the Windows forum viewforum.php?f=11, if you don't mind. Make sure to read the notice in red at the top and provide the appropriate activity log.
Done. Thanks for the quick response.
solo013

Post by solo013 »

Your installer needs to make it clear that when you install, even if to another directory, it will overwrite parts of the old one making it lose your presets. I was going to install the new on along side the old one so I could continue using the old one while I got the new one just right. Yes, I am angry, and I guarantee I'm not the only one. Think about these things before you release your next version.
s55
HandBrake Team

Post by s55 »

The app was designed to archive the old presets file and create a new one if it can't parse the file, but for whatever reason, that silently fails for some people meaning the archive code never kicks in. That'll get fixed for the next release.
SteveMB

Post by SteveMB »

For the most part, re-creating the old presets should only take a few minutes. The main question: Have the custom filter strings (i.e. the string of numbers for custom deinterlace/decomb filter) changed format? If not, it's easy enough to copy/paste the string from the old preset PLIST file; if so, I have to figure them out all over again.
isaacstrutynski

Post by isaacstrutynski »

Blatant advertisement removed.
Alek242YouTube

How can i Reduce Video File size in HandBrake 0.10.0

Post by Alek242YouTube »

Tab Advanced and some other options have been removed, i have been searching everywhere and i cant find how to do so.
last HandBrake tutorial video was before around 3 months and its for an old version.
please reply as soon as possible!

[Removed contact info]

Cheers!
Alek
Last edited by s55 on Mon Jan 19, 2015 4:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Contact info not relevant to post.
s55
HandBrake Team

Post by s55 »

See the Preset / Tune / Profile / Level options on the video tab. If there is a specific x264 or encoder argument you want to set, you can do it with the "Extra Args" box.
Alek242YouTube

Post by Alek242YouTube »

that's already the defaults.
but yes i did Presets/presets/universal
i don't think its that simple. if that was all i wouldn't get this error: [URL Removed]
moneymatt4life
Veteran User

Post by moneymatt4life »

what did you use to decrypt the source? (assuming your source is DVD or BD)
BradleyS

Post by BradleyS »

BradleyS wrote:Sorry to hear you're having trouble. Please start a thread in the Windows forum viewforum.php?f=11, if you don't mind. Make sure to read the notice in red at the top and provide the appropriate activity log.
Individual issues like these are easier to diagnose in their own threads, with the appropriate activity logs. Thanks.
Alek242YouTube

Post by Alek242YouTube »

[Removed]
Cheers!
Alek
Last edited by BradleyS on Mon Jan 19, 2015 7:39 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Rules #2c, #3a violations.
BradleyS

Post by BradleyS »

Please everyone take a moment and read forum rules #2c and #3a.
JacobSwaggedUp

Post by JacobSwaggedUp »

[Activity log is required for support] viewtopic.php?f=6&t=31236
Last edited by BradleyS on Mon Jan 26, 2015 6:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Hijacking; no activity log provided in this or any other thread.
55trucker

Post by 55trucker »

Hello there to all:

I've an issue with *10* with respect to where the advanced tab disappeared to?

the program just self updated itself on me, I usually have this turned off, but I recently re-installed the program from my exe file I have (original version of 0.10- September '14) due to a reinstall of framework 4.

The original version displayed the *advanced* tab for the video properties, I always use this feature, also 0.10 can auto crop the video to disregard the black bars on a 1080p video who's aspect is either 2:35/1 or 2:40/1 or something that is not 1:78/1, this is very handy,

for whatever reason this new version that just installed itself no longer has the *advanced* tab making it impossible for me to set my controls the way I want them to be. When I uninstalled this version to go back to my old version THAT version will no longer install as it states that *this version is not compatible with my operating system.......Win7 32bit.

what happened??...........baffled.
s55
HandBrake Team

Post by s55 »

The advanced tab has been deprecated (and disabled by default in preferences) in favor of the Video Preset / Tune / Profile and Level options on the Video Tab.

There is an extra arguments tab there which allows specific options to be set, but this will typically be an edge case for most.

You can read about x264's preset system http://dev.beandog.org/x264_preset_reference.html
55trucker

Post by 55trucker »

^ Well,

my issue is not much the alteration to the latest version, but moreso why I can't get the previous version back in that does have the features I'm accustomed to. Open the link to my photobucket & blow it up via the *enlarge* icon in the top right corner.

http://s167.photobucket.com/user/55truc ... w.jpg.html