Thanks

General questions or discussion about HandBrake, Video and/or audio transcoding, trends etc.
victorvdc

Thanks

Post by victorvdc »

This one of the best applications I have used in a long time. Works great , very efficient, well documented. And Free!!

Ok what is the catch? Are you sure I can't contribute something so at least you can go out and have a drink on me.

One thing worries me. If I transcode at the recommended quality of 20 my files are smaller and I feel I must be loosing quality even though you say not. I have been using 18 since I am paranoid about this. Is there any way to measure quality of a video so I can convince my self the final is just as good as the original.

Thanks
Smithcraft
Veteran User

Re: Thanks

Post by Smithcraft »

There are metrics for quality that can be enabled so that they show up in the log, but they are computed metrics and can be obviously poor when compared to a scene where the transcoding did poorly. So a high score in the metrics does not always mean a high quality transcoding. That is why you should use a setting that looks good to you. If the defaults look good, then you're fine. If not then crank it up till you like the output.

SC
mduell
Veteran User

Post by mduell »

Have you tried watching the output video? If you don't see anything wrong at 20, what's the concern?
victorvdc

Post by victorvdc »

Have you tried watching the output video? If you don't see anything wrong at 20, what's the concern?

Yes I have , I cant see the difference in slow moving scenes but the difference is usually pixilation on fast screens which is hard to judge. Basically I am just paranoid about getting something for nothing. But you seem to be proving me wrong in this case.

Thanks, Great Job
Smithcraft
Veteran User

Post by Smithcraft »

If you like 18, use 18.

SC