Recommended tune for grainy animation?

General questions or discussion about HandBrake, Video and/or audio transcoding, trends etc.
fatpizza

Recommended tune for grainy animation?

Post by fatpizza »

If I have some anime from a couple of years ago with digital grain added post process should I use the animation tune or the grain tune? I suspect I should use grain but I just though someone with more experience might be able to tell me.
mduell
Veteran User

Re: Recommended tune for grainy animation?

Post by mduell »

Do you want to preserve the grain or obliterate it?
fatpizza

Post by fatpizza »

mduell wrote:Do you want to preserve the grain or obliterate it?
I'm a fan of preserving the original look of the video as much as possible so I guess I should leave it on grain. Just not at the cost of extreme filesize.
Lets just say when I had the tune set to grain with a crf of 20, the filesize for a 22 minutes episode was approaching 5GB. :P
With a CRF of 23 and grain the filezise went down to just under 3GB. What other settings could I play around with without setting the CRF any lower and leaving the tune on grain?
Deleted User 13735

Post by Deleted User 13735 »

In order to preserve the grain, you will have very large files. No free lunch there.
fatpizza

Post by fatpizza »

Yeah I'm finding that out quickly... :P
I tried setting the x264 preset to 'Very Slow' and it saved me a couple of hundred MB. When using the grain preset is it safe to set the CRF value higher than recommended(23 I think for HD is recommded, so 24+) since the grain tune is designed to keep more detail anyway?
mduell
Veteran User

Post by mduell »

Sure, you can set it as high as you like the results.
Smithcraft
Veteran User

Post by Smithcraft »

With my Grain preset, I have the CQ a notch or two higher(numerically speaking of course) to keep the file size down.

SC