PSP Conversion - Help Please

Discuss encoding for devices and presets.
Forum rules
An Activity Log is required for support requests. Please read How-to get an activity log? for details on how and why this should be provided.
canoehead

PSP Conversion - Help Please

Post by canoehead »

I am looking for assistance encoding for PSP. I am able to do PS3 and iPod just fine, but none of the files I convert will play on the PSP

I am using the brand new version of Handbrake with Windows GUI
I have the latest PSP Firmware 3.52
I am using the PSP presets with no changes
I am have tried naming files M4V12345 and MAQ12345 - with both .mv4 and .mp4 extensions
I have placed the files in MP_ROOT/100MV01 and 100AN01

I did notice that files which work on the PSP are usually described in the properties as MPEG-4 files (whether H.264 or not) but the Handbrake output as MV4 Files

Any help would be appreciated
s55
HandBrake Team

Post by s55 »

Should be using mpeg4 not h264
canoehead

Post by canoehead »

sr55 wrote:Should be using mpeg4 not h264
Huh - well, that will produce a larger file, but I can try it. I know that the PSP can do h.264, but maybe handbrake is the wrong flavour.

Thanks
s55
HandBrake Team

Post by s55 »

The Preset is supposed to be mpeg4.

However h264 would probably work with the correct string passed to the h264 encoder. "level=41" I believe that will work but can't confirm as I don't personally own a psp.
suborbit

Post by suborbit »

Also, try placing your video files in a folder "Video", which you can create in the root directory.
phearn

Post by phearn »

I am using Handbrake Windows 2.4 and when I use the PSP Preset the PSP returns an unsupported data error when I try to play the video.

The video is in the PSP root Video folder.

If I use the MPEG4 output at 368x208, at the same PSP Preset of 1024 bitrate, then the video plays just fine.

Is the h264 PSP Preset a bug?

I saw a suggestion to set the h264 string to level:41 and it might work.

I tried looking up what the level option is for h264 but couldn't find a description of the function. Would someone mind giving me a quick definition of the function before I try it.

Also if I choose MPEG4 at 480x272 (everything else the same) I get the unsuppported data error.

It's no big deal since the MPEG4 368x208 format works fine on the PSP but I was curious to know what the reason is.

BTW did I mention that Handbrake is sweet. :D

Thanks In Advance
Stingo

PSP conversion dimensions

Post by Stingo »

hi,

...have eagerly been testing HB 0.9 wrt PSP 3.50+ compatibility.
Unfortunately:
- h264 encoding (doublepass or not) doesn't work
- even just _scaling_ the dimensions in MPEG4 encodings to 480x272 (which is possible since 3.4, I believe) results in "unsupported data"

again to be clear:
* only changing the moviedimensions of the default PSP preset to the values above results in corruption (?)

...it's impossible to pass commands to the encoder - since the advanced tab doesn't work in that mode...
trondah

Post by trondah »

Just converted a movie to 480x272 H.264/AVC no problems. Just use the PSP preset and switch codec. I think the movie has to be placed under /VIDEO on the memstick though, at least that's what I'm doing.

Oh, and the advanced tab works here.
phearn

Post by phearn »

What do you mean by switch codec?

Thanks
trondah

Post by trondah »

I meant switch to H.264/AVC codec.

You need one more thing as well, in the advanced tab under x264 option string enter this:

level=3

This option will classify the video file as a level 3 H.264. The level says something about the max. bitrate the video can have and such, the PSP checks it.

This is what I did:

- Select PSP preset
- Choose H.264/AAC codec
- Select 480 width (keep aspect ratio)
- Enter "level=3" without the quotes under advanced x264 options
- Place converted movie under /VIDEO on the memstick

I've successfully converted several movies with this, even using 2-pass and adding subtitles. The quality is perfect!
Stingo

Post by Stingo »

GREAT - it all works now and the quality is downright stunning.
Filesize is only slightly bigger, too! tx!
phearn

Post by phearn »

The level=3 makes the H264 work on my PSP too.

I just converted the movie 300 to this format and the the quality is excellent on my PSP.

So far I have excellent conversion settings for AppleTV and now PSP. My iPod is next.

Thanks for all of your help.

The guys at Handbrake deserve a medal for this tool.
elCedo

Re: PSP Conversion - Help Please

Post by elCedo »

I tried encoding with the PSP-preset, and my PSP said it was an unsupported data type.
Then I tried the above with the level =3 thing and my PSP still tought it was unsupported.
Anyone knows what else I can try to make this work?
thanks!
elCedo

Post by elCedo »

I forgat to mention that my PSP's firmware is 2.10 I believe.
Could this be the problem, that i need the latest firmware (3.50 right?)
dynaflash
Veteran User

Post by dynaflash »

Moved to more appropriate "Devices" forum.
McCall

Post by McCall »

I wanted to say thanks to trondah and the rest of the posters for this useful thread.

I am encoding my movies using an MP4 container, with AVC/H.264 1024kpbs video at 480*X and AAC 128kbps audio using the following x264 advanced options:

crf=18:ref=2:mixed-refs=1:bframes=3:bime=1:weightb=1:subq=7:trellis=2:analyse=all:level=3:merange=64:no-fast-pskip=1:me=umh:sar=1/1

I am doing 2-pass encoding with a turbo first pass. The quality is excellent, noticeably improved over the MP4 codec set in the standard PSP preset and just over 2 hours of video is about 1Gb in file size, perfect for a couple of movies, albums and game saves on a single 4Mb stick :)