Small files off DVD are huge and the large files are small ?

HandBrake for Windows support
Forum rules
An Activity Log is required for support requests. Please read How-to get an activity log? for details on how and why this should be provided.
shastasage

Small files off DVD are huge and the large files are small ?

Post by shastasage »

I have a DVD that has 20 videos on it and people want to buy the download overseas to save taxes, shipping etc.

17 of the videos are short meditations apx 4 minutes in length

1 is 14 minutes

1 is 20 minutes in length

1 is 30 minutes in length

So i ripped the dvd to .mp4's using HandBrake and they came out beautiful

But here is the issue...All of the 17 - 4 minute videos came out to 50 mb and some 3 minute ones came out to be over 200 mb?

The 30 minute one of me talking came out in .mp4 as 147 mb ( really good in my opinion)

the 20 minute one is a meditation with the same picture through out and is only 62 mb and looks and sounds great

The 14 minute one is the same type as above and came out at 43 mb and is great

I added them and did them all at once....should i try the 17 meditations alone and at a different setting...there is some waterfalls and other things but some thing seems really off to have such a difference. Maybe different audio settings? ( i watched some youtube videos but it confused me more)

While the DVD itself is 4.3 gb total the total of the .mp4's is 2.7 gb....a lot to down load!

at a different time I had compressed some of the 17 videos on Adobe Premiere Pro CC and put them on youtube at a good quality for like 10 - 20 mb's

so i am confused and wonder what i might do? any and all suggestions are well appreciated!

Thanks!

Shasta
Lostless
Bright Spark User

Re: Small files off DVD are huge and the large files are small ?

Post by Lostless »

Handbrakes default settings are designed to adjust bit rate based off image complexity to get the best compression and image quality. So a video with nothing moving much will get less data given to it, as it doesn't need much data to compress the little amount of changes per frame. Videos with a lot of movement have a lot of changes per frame, so it needs more data to retain the detail in the changes per frame.
Deleted User 13735

Post by Deleted User 13735 »

Use Average bitrate.
mduell
Veteran User

Post by mduell »

No logs = no idea