Multiple video streams + combining two dvds

General questions or discussion about HandBrake, Video and/or audio transcoding, trends etc.
anskarion

Multiple video streams + combining two dvds

Post by anskarion »

Hello,

I've a two-step question. I'm trying to rip a concert dvd (Metallica's Cunning Stunts) into MKV format. I have encountered two problems:

#1: The concert is divided into two dvd discs. Is there a possibility to rip it into a single MKV file while preserving chapter structure?

#2: A couple of the tracks feature a multi-video stream (you can choose the camera angle). Is there a way to preserve that during the ripping process?

I appreciate all the help you could provide me.

Cheers

PS. Not sure if it's needed but here's the log of my first rip attempt: http://pastebin.com/as4guCYK
bradycl
Novice

Re: Multiple video streams + combining two dvds

Post by bradycl »

Number 1 is not trivial or easily automated, but also not difficult to do if you're encoding to mkv. I've done this successfully for my copies of "Das Boot" and "Schindler's List".

The process requires the use of mkvmerge.

1. Encode each video to be merged with Handbrake with chapter markers.

2. In mkvmerge, Go into the chapter manager and open the first encoded file. Extract the chapters to an .xml file. Note the timestamp at the end of the last chapter, and the last chapter number. Close mkvmerge,

3. In mkvmerge, Go into the chapter manager and open the second encoded file. Select the entry above the list of chapters and add the exact timestamp that ended the last chapter from the first file as an offset. Extract the chapters to an .xml file. Close mkvmerge.

4. In a text editor, edit the .xml file for the second set of chapters to change the chapter numbers, counting up from the chapter number that ended the first file.

5. In a text editor, copy the chapter sections only from the second .xml file into the first .xml file below the existing chapter sections, and save it so that the first file is now an .xml file covering the chapters for the entire video.

6. In mkvmerge on the main page, "Add" the first video, then "Append" the second. Uncheck the chapter entries so that they will not be included in the merged file. Merge them into a full video which now contains both videos, one after the other. Close mkvmerge.

7. In mkvmerge, go to the chapter manager and open the merged .xml chapter file you finished in step five. Choose "apply this chapter file to an existing mkv" from the menu and apply this to your merged video file that you created in step six.

You now have one mkv, with all chapters.
Smithcraft
Veteran User

Post by Smithcraft »

Or with pictures...

viewtopic.php?f=14&t=18721

SC
anskarion

Post by anskarion »

Thank you very much for the detailed answer.

Are there any hints you could provide for my second issue: ripping multiple video streams from dvd to mkv?

Thank you in advance
bradycl
Novice

Post by bradycl »

I'm pretty sure that you could do the same thing with mkvmerge... you would have to encode each camera angle into a separate mkv file with HandBrake, then using add (instead of append as above), combine the files, keeping all of the video and audio streams from both files that you want to keep in the combined file. I know that VLC would then, during playback, allow you to pick which video stream to display, or even both in separate windows, I believe.
anskarion

Post by anskarion »

Great; thank you very much for all the help.

Take care :-)