Preview for subtitles?

HandBrake for Windows support
Forum rules
An Activity Log is required for support requests. Please read How-to get an activity log? for details on how and why this should be provided.
TSCH

Preview for subtitles?

Post by TSCH »

Hello,

I'm struggeling with my favourite mkv-Encoding-Tool Handbrake and forced subtitles.

I rip (DVDFab and kmv-passthrough) a title from a bluray only with forced subs ending in a mkv with two subs.
Before encoding and burning in one of this (the correct one!) two subs I'd like to preview the sub to choose the correct one.
Another thing I noticed is that I get two sup-Files (muxed into the mkv) but can only choose one in HB.

Thanks a lot for any help on this.

cU

TSCH
Woodstock
Veteran User

Re: Preview for subtitles?

Post by Woodstock »

Use something like VLC to play the original file - you can chose the subtitle tracks and see what displays.

And you might want to check your player for MKV compatibility; more and more are supporting PGS subtitles in MKV files, which means you don't have to burn them in, like you have to with MP4.
TSCH

Post by TSCH »

Thanks a lot for your quick reply.

My problem is that I can't identify the german forced subtitle in DVDfab 100% for sure.

I want to encode (my own) tv-show-BR like Breaking Bad. There are a lot of parts where only spanish is spoken and german forced subtitles are available.
There is a option in DVDfab for subtiltles called show only forced subtitles with another option only forced or normal and forced subtitles.
There is no way to preview with subtitles in DVDfab so I could control if the correct option is chosen.

I think DVDfab is faulty because I only get part of the forced subtitles after ripping (to mkv). But what can I do to just rip the forced subtitles and yes I want to burn them in because I don't want to switch the subtitles on just for part of the movie because german subs with german audio doesn't makes sense ;-)
Woodstock
Veteran User

Post by Woodstock »

Subtitles are a tricky beast. There are a lot of options as far as authoring the disks, starting with having a subtitle track that contains ALL subtitles for a given language, some of which are tagged as "Forced". More common, especially when there is a DVD release involved, is to have (at least) two subtitle tracks per language, one containing "all" subtitles, the other containing just the "forced" subtitles. Still other publishers author the disks with only one, full subtitle track per language, and ignore the idea of "signs only" subtitles; you either have subtitles or you don't.

And which track is tagged as "default" can vary with the publisher.

Which is why I suggest ripping all tracks when creating the MKV file, viewing the file with VLC, then using your findings to guide you in selecting the tracks you want when you encode with Handbrake.