Issues with CLI on Ubuntu 14.04

Support for HandBrake on Linux, Solaris, and other Unix-like platforms
Forum rules
An Activity Log is required for support requests. Please read How-to get an activity log? for details on how and why this should be provided.
zane131

Issues with CLI on Ubuntu 14.04

Post by zane131 »

I have a clean install of Ubuntu GNOME 14.04 and installed Handbrake (GUI and CLI) from Ubuntu's Software Center. I can successfully converted videos with the GUI using multiple presets. Unfortunately, I am unable to get the CLI to work. All of the presets give me the following:

Code: Select all

ERROR: Invalid audio codec: 0x100
I experimented by overriding the audio encoder with the -E option. I got the same error code as above with faac and copy:aac. Then, I tried all of the other audio encoders listed in HandbrakeCLI --help and got the following error:

ERROR: MP4 muxer disabled, exiting
Any help would be appreciated.
TedJ
Veteran User

Re: Issues with CLI on Ubuntu 14.04

Post by TedJ »

You're trying to encode to MP4 and Ubuntu in their infinite wisdom have removed MP4 support in their builds. Download from handbrake.fr and install manually.
zane131

Post by zane131 »

Thanks for pointing this out. I didn't pick up on it yesterday. It's irritating that they stripped the mp4 support from the version available in the Ubuntu repos. Any thoughts on where to report this?

The ppa listed on handbrake.fr doesn't support 14.04. Looks like it hasn't been updated for close to a year.

W: Failed to fetch http://ppa.launchpad.net/stebbins/handbrake-releases/ubuntu/dists/trusty/main/binary-amd64/Packages  404  Not Found

W: Failed to fetch http://ppa.launchpad.net/stebbins/handbrake-releases/ubuntu/dists/trusty/main/binary-i386/Packages  404  Not Found

E: Some index files failed to download. They have been ignored, or old ones used instead.
After more searching on the all powerful Google, I found a solution here: http://iloveubuntu.net/handbrake-099-la ... e-universe

Simply install the raring debs manually from here: https://launchpad.net/~stebbins/+archiv ... ld/4589165

Then run the following after installing the debs or they will be updated to the cut down version from the Ubuntu repos.

sudo apt-mark hold handbrake-gtk handbrake-cli
TedJ
Veteran User

Post by TedJ »

No, you'll need to use the nightly builds for 14.04 although we're hoping for the next stable release shortly.

The reason mp4 was stripped from the Ubuntu repos was because the library used for muxing mp4 (mp4v2) is not distributed under a GPL compatible licence. We're switching to libavformat for the next release to address this problem.
zane131

Post by zane131 »

TedJ wrote:... although we're hoping for the next stable release shortly.
Just checking up on this because it has been a while. Anyone know when this will be put in the stable release or where to check?
s55
HandBrake Team

Post by s55 »

There is no ETA. The news page on the site will be the firs place to be updated when we hit 1.0
Dapsol

Post by Dapsol »

Hi,

i've installed HandBrake-cli on Debian Wheezy from "deb http://cdn.debian.net/debian wheezy-backports main", and i'm getting the exact same error:

Any tips on how to fix this would be very welcome :-)

(reason to get a nightly build is because it can handle subtitles in blu-rays..)
s55
HandBrake Team

Post by s55 »

Uninstall that, and install the official nightly. That is not a nightly. That is just a deliberately broken version they ship to annoy us.
Dapsol

Post by Dapsol »

Ok thanks, but is it possible to build the nightly on Debian Wheezy?

I've tried building from source and i get a build error:

sudo apt-get install checkinstall build-essential subversion yasm build-essential autoconf libtool \
zlib1g-dev libbz2-dev libogg-dev libtheora-dev libvorbis-dev \
libsamplerate-dev libxml2-dev libfribidi-dev libfreetype6-dev \
libfontconfig1-dev libass-dev intltool libglib2.0-dev libdbus-glib-1-dev \
libgtk2.0-dev libgudev-1.0-dev libwebkit-dev libnotify-dev \
libgstreamer0.10-dev libgstreamer-plugins-base0.10-dev libappindicator-dev

svn checkout svn://svn.handbrake.fr/HandBrake/trunk hb-trunk
cd hb-trunk
./configure --launch --disable-gtk

Last lines of build.txt :

:  /bin/mkdir -p '/home/david/scripts/hb-trunk/build/contrib/include/libbluray'
  :  /usr/bin/install -c -m 644 file/filesystem.h libbluray/bdnav/clpi_data.h libbluray/bdnav/meta_data.h libbluray/bluray-version.h libbluray/bluray.h libbluray/decoders/overlay.h libbluray/keys.h util/log_control.h '/home/david/scripts/hb-trunk/build/contrib/include/libbluray'
  : make[3]: Leaving directory `/home/david/scripts/hb-trunk/build/contrib/libbluray/libbluray-0.5.0/src'
  : make[2]: Leaving directory `/home/david/scripts/hb-trunk/build/contrib/libbluray/libbluray-0.5.0/src'
  : make[2]: Entering directory `/home/david/scripts/hb-trunk/build/contrib/libbluray/libbluray-0.5.0'
  : make[3]: Entering directory `/home/david/scripts/hb-trunk/build/contrib/libbluray/libbluray-0.5.0'
  : make[3]: Nothing to be done for `install-exec-am'.
  : make[3]: Nothing to be done for `install-data-am'.
  : make[3]: Leaving directory `/home/david/scripts/hb-trunk/build/contrib/libbluray/libbluray-0.5.0'
  : make[2]: Leaving directory `/home/david/scripts/hb-trunk/build/contrib/libbluray/libbluray-0.5.0'
  : make[1]: Leaving directory `/home/david/scripts/hb-trunk/build/contrib/libbluray/libbluray-0.5.0'
  : touch contrib/libbluray/.stamp.install
  : /usr/bin/gcc -std=gnu99 -pipe -fmessage-length=0 -Wall -g0 -O3 -DUSE_LIBAV_AAC -D__LIBHB__ -DUSE_PTHREAD -DSYS_LINUX -D_LARGEFILE_SOURCE -D_FILE_OFFSET_BITS=64 -DUSE_X265 -DARCH_X86_64 -I./libhb/ -I./contrib/include -c ../libhb/audio_remap.c -o libhb/audio_remap.o
  : /usr/bin/gcc -std=gnu99 -pipe -fmessage-length=0 -Wall -g0 -O3 -DUSE_LIBAV_AAC -D__LIBHB__ -DUSE_PTHREAD -DSYS_LINUX -D_LARGEFILE_SOURCE -D_FILE_OFFSET_BITS=64 -DUSE_X265 -DARCH_X86_64 -I./libhb/ -I./contrib/include -c ../libhb/audio_resample.c -o libhb/audio_resample.o
  : /usr/bin/gcc -std=gnu99 -pipe -fmessage-length=0 -Wall -g0 -O3 -DUSE_LIBAV_AAC -D__LIBHB__ -DUSE_PTHREAD -DSYS_LINUX -D_LARGEFILE_SOURCE -D_FILE_OFFSET_BITS=64 -DUSE_X265 -DARCH_X86_64 -I./libhb/ -I./contrib/include -c ../libhb/batch.c -o libhb/batch.o
  : /usr/bin/gcc -std=gnu99 -pipe -fmessage-length=0 -Wall -g0 -O3 -DUSE_LIBAV_AAC -D__LIBHB__ -DUSE_PTHREAD -DSYS_LINUX -D_LARGEFILE_SOURCE -D_FILE_OFFSET_BITS=64 -DUSE_X265 -DARCH_X86_64 -I./libhb/ -I./contrib/include -c ../libhb/bd.c -o libhb/bd.o
  : /usr/bin/gcc -std=gnu99 -pipe -fmessage-length=0 -Wall -g0 -O3 -DUSE_LIBAV_AAC -D__LIBHB__ -DUSE_PTHREAD -DSYS_LINUX -D_LARGEFILE_SOURCE -D_FILE_OFFSET_BITS=64 -DUSE_X265 -DARCH_X86_64 -I./libhb/ -I./contrib/include -c ../libhb/colormap.c -o libhb/colormap.o
  : /usr/bin/gcc -std=gnu99 -pipe -fmessage-length=0 -Wall -g0 -O3 -DUSE_LIBAV_AAC -D__LIBHB__ -DUSE_PTHREAD -DSYS_LINUX -D_LARGEFILE_SOURCE -D_FILE_OFFSET_BITS=64 -DUSE_X265 -DARCH_X86_64 -I./libhb/ -I./contrib/include -c ../libhb/common.c -o libhb/common.o
  : ../libhb/common.c:16:18: fatal error: x264.h: No such file or directory
  : compilation terminated.
  : make: *** [libhb/common.o] Error 1
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
time end: Sun Aug 31 10:30:20 2014
duration: 29 minutes, 47 seconds (1787.29s)
result: FAILURE (code 2)
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Build is finished!
Last edited by Dapsol on Sat Sep 06, 2014 5:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JohnAStebbins
HandBrake Team

Post by JohnAStebbins »

You need to read the build documentation in doc/BUILD-Linux. You are missing packages that are required in order to build handbrake.
Dapsol

Post by Dapsol »

Thanks for pointing me in the right direction, i've installed the packages listed in the 'BUILD-Linux' file (for Ubuntu) but still getting the same error when building.
JohnAStebbins
HandBrake Team

Post by JohnAStebbins »

You are missing libx264-dev which is certainly listed in the BUILD-Linux file.
Dapsol

Post by Dapsol »

Oops, sorry you are right. The BUILD-Linux file is a bit confusing i think, it says:
To install these packages:
sudo apt-get install subversion yasm build-essential autoconf libtool \
zlib1g-dev libbz2-dev libogg-dev libtheora-dev libvorbis-dev \
libsamplerate-dev libxml2-dev libfribidi-dev libfreetype6-dev \
libfontconfig1-dev libass-dev libmp3lame-dev intltool libglib2.0-dev \
libdbus-glib-1-dev libgtk-3-dev libgudev-1.0-dev libwebkitgtk-3.0-dev \
libnotify-dev libgstreamer1.0-dev libgstreamer-plugins-base1.0-dev \
libappindicator-dev
However, this list seems not 100% complete, because as you said there are other packages listed as well a few lines above this text :o
So now i installed these, and i have a successful build :-) Thank you for your assistance, i'm not used to doing this stuff so...

apt-get install subversion yasm build-essential autoconf libtool zlib1g-dev libbz2-dev libxml2-dev libogg-dev libvorbis-dev libsamplerate-dev libfribidi-dev libfreetype6-dev libfontconfig1-dev libass-dev libmp3lame-dev libx264-dev intltool libglib2.0-dev libdbus-glib-1-dev libgtk-3-dev libgudev-1.0-dev libwebkitgtk-3.0-dev libnotify-dev libgstreamer1.0-dev libgstreamer-plugins-base1.0-dev libappindicator-dev libtheora-dev
JohnAStebbins
HandBrake Team

Post by JohnAStebbins »

Ah, thanks for pointing out the documentation error. Will fix that.
jonalbert123

Post by jonalbert123 »

[color=#000000]zan[/color][/url][url=http://www.traguspiercing.xyz/][color=#000000]e131[/color] wrote: I have a clean install of Ubuntu GNOME 14.04 and installed Handbrake (GUI and CLI) from Ubuntu's Software Center. I can successfully converted videos with the GUI using multiple presets. Unfortunately, I am unable to get the CLI to work. All of the presets give me the following:

ERROR: Invalid audio codec: 0x100
I experimented by overriding the audio encoder with the -E option. I got the same error code as above with faac and copy:aac. Then, I tried all of the other audio encoders listed in HandbrakeCLI --help and got the following error:

Any help would be appreciated.
I was getting same kind of problem but i have fixed that by re configuring all parameters.