Why can't I set a Target Size when converting a video?

HandBrake for Windows support
Forum rules
An Activity Log is required for support requests. Please read How-to get an activity log? for details on how and why this should be provided.
riahc3

Why can't I set a Target Size when converting a video?

Post by riahc3 »

I see older versions of Handbrake allowing to set a Target Size. Im trying that with HandBrake 0.9.9 but I cant see it.

How can I do it?
TedJ
Veteran User

Re: Why can't I set a Target Size when converting a video?

Post by TedJ »

You can't, target size was removed several releases back as it was temperamental and prone to error. You can gain the same functionality using average bitrate encoding in conjunction with one of the many online bitrate calculators.

Please search before posting in future, as this topic has been covered many, many times.
vid.user

Post by vid.user »

I can't believe people are still asking this question......

Actually, if the OP is willing, please tell us 'why' you want to get to a specific size?
randomreuben
Veteran User

Post by randomreuben »

@vid.user

The OP wants what the OP wants. Wanting a 2 GB target encode isn't a character flaw. Maybe the OP likes to keep movies on a 2 GB USB stick? Who knows? Who cares?

As for your statement "I can't believe..." Look at how most video encoding was done within this decade. AutoGordianKnot, DVDFab, and HandBrake offered users a target size or a target bitrate. It's a different philosophy to encoding videos. HandBrake has switched to the RF method, which is a more efficient method, but the constant bitrate method was alive and well not ten years ago.

HandBrake didn't remove Target Size because it was so unspeakably bad. It's because this feature had some OCD users who gave the developers grief over going +/- some percent over the target size and it was a waste of resources to keep working on it.

Target Size encoding isn't the same as asking for instructions on flaying kittens. If HandBrake removed features for being terrible, then we would not have the ability to reduce videos down to RF 50. So it's not because Target Size encodes are the worst, all right? Let's stop pretending like it is.
Deleted User 13735

Post by Deleted User 13735 »

Bitrate (Mbps) x Time (sec) x .125 = File Size (MB).

"Bitrate" means audio and video bitrate together.

That's all anyone needs to use abr in an encoder.
vid.user

Post by vid.user »

@ randomreuben

My reply was more in reference to the same question being asked over and over again, not so much to the content of the question. Thanks for the history lesson but no need, I was there. Good day to you.