hevc ready?

Random chit-chat and anything that doesn't belong elsewhere
daaceking
Novice

hevc ready?

Post by daaceking »

hello,

does handbrake support hevc with audio + subs in none raw form? last time i checked it didn't.

also, is the hevc encoder complete yet or not? as in does it have all the features or are things still missing that are being implemented?

thanks,
Smithcraft
Veteran User

Re: hevc ready?

Post by Smithcraft »

s55
HandBrake Team

Post by s55 »

You can follow x265 development https://bitbucket.org/multicoreware/x265/wiki/Home

Their Todo list / roadmap is interesting. It'll be a while before the encoder matures.
daaceking
Novice

Post by daaceking »

I do follow the x265 project, I just don't understand what any of it means. What's missing etc.

Also trac mentions hevc support now in mp4 Mkv, but does that mean subs and audio tracks work with it too? (btw sc, posting threads I've already read and don't understand doesn't really help)
Smithcraft
Veteran User

Post by Smithcraft »

The thread I linked to has this line in it which I can't imagine being difficult to understand.
s55 wrote:The experimental x265 encoder has already been added.
The linked thread also indicates that the x265 encoder is still under development, and that it will be some time before it's matured.

SC
s55
HandBrake Team

Post by s55 »

Yes, you can store h265 in the mp4/mkv files now (with audio and all)

Fwiw though, there isn't' much benefit to using it at this point. I still think we are a year or so (maybe more) away from it becoming a viable option for the majority.
daaceking
Novice

Post by daaceking »

Yeah, I just want to experiment at this stage although am doubtful if it will actually take over h264 or x264. I think there would need to be significant boost to x265 like cuda but without limiting compression.

I have a feature suggestion but I thought I share it here first. My main system is a simple core 2 quad with gaming in mind and is plenty sufficient even for x264. However I have a laptop with a better and faster i7, which I rarely use. So I was thinking maybe give transcode tasks to handbrake on the laptop while input / output files are on the main system. Could handbrake be set up like this? Maybe even share multiple computer processors over a network?
Deleted User 11865

Post by Deleted User 11865 »

daaceking wrote:So I was thinking maybe give transcode tasks to handbrake on the laptop while input / output files are on the main system. Could handbrake be set up like this? Maybe even share multiple computer processors over a network?
The latter is not possible (though you could run two separate encodes simultaneously, one on each system). But the former is a matter of sharing the disk or partition where the input and output files will reside over a reasonably quick path/connection.
daaceking
Novice

Post by daaceking »

Cool just wondered if a team of p4s and i7s could power the future :)
Ayoross
Novice

Post by Ayoross »

Hi,

HEVC encoder is still experimental but it works, I use it a lot.
I've encoded tens of video, and the video stream size is reduced by -40% to -75% using aggressive settings, over AVC with also aggressive settings.
Good video players already support HEVC decoding (especially MPC-HC and VLC) and intel HD graphics latest drivers added support for hardware decoding.
Test it by yourself and you won't use AVC any more. The only tradeoff (there must be one) is that encode is much slower.
s55
HandBrake Team

Post by s55 »

I've encoded tens of video, and the video stream size is reduced by -40% to -75% using aggressive settings, over AVC with also aggressive settings.
If your seeing results like that, then your doing something wrong. x265 is not even feature complete or optimised to a point where you could achieve anything like that.
Ayoross
Novice

Post by Ayoross »

I get such results only with full HD videos. With DVD-class movies (PAL 720x576) the video stream size is cut by -15% to -25% only.
Nevertheless, I'd like to know why you think such results are not expected, since HEVC target is 4K-video encoding !
I did nothing special to achieve such a result except using slow settings, just try yourself.
Note that I'm only talking about the video stream size ; the global file size reduction is much lower, especially if you add heavy lossless audio tracks.