Encoding a large volume of .ts/.mpeg-2 files

HandBrake for Windows support
Forum rules
An Activity Log is required for support requests. Please read How-to get an activity log? for details on how and why this should be provided.
WuxiIxuw

Encoding a large volume of .ts/.mpeg-2 files

Post by WuxiIxuw »

Hello,
Hope that I am posting in the right place.
Here is the situation ... we are a small media production company located in Egypt.
We have a short term contracts with local channels here in Egypt.
These contracts including recording channel tv shows using the pci satellite cards.
All recorded files are .ts or .mpeg-2
Then we do the edit and encoding for these shows and then upload one copy to the channel server to let other visitors be able to download it and upload another copy to its associated youtube channel.
We are dealing with a large volume of video files according to our contracts and expanding more so far.
Our lab has 22 computers so far which all are dedicated to recording only = we are using the dvbviewer pro by the way == and about 200:220 GB per day for each new day = new GBs.
We are using mpg2cut to do the edit to cut un wanted parts of the streaming and make the tv show pure with no commercials.
THEN we come to the most important part which is the video encoding.
After a lot of search (if I am wrong please correct me) I've found that .mp4 containers and the codecs h.264 is the most universal or compatable one to be used on both website and even the youtube, also found that ATOM must be in the early begenning of the file to ensure the rapid streaming instead of loading the whole file first.
Right now we are using WinAVI all-in-one-converter, and I've been advised in the videohelp.org forum to use handbrake instead.
So here I am :D
But the problem I've with it:
- how to do a large scale of files all att once instead of add one file per once?
- how to exactly determine the exact frame size after do the crop to make the new produced video lookks good.
- does there is anything I can do to make the video with a good quality as possible and small size as possible?
- Here in Egypt the lowest internet speed is 512 k adsl, so I used to make the video 45kbps to fit the lowest connection speed, so how can I adjust it?
- Also if there is any way to automate the process that would be awesome.
Thanks a lot
Sorry for bad English

Note: please if you have any better idea or suggestion for how to do the job that would be awesome as well.
Also regarding the DVBiewer used to capture and record the channel streaming if there is any better option that would awesome as well.

Regards,
WI
Deleted User 13735

Re: Encoding a large volume of .ts/.mpeg-2 files

Post by Deleted User 13735 »

-- We are using mpg2cut to do the edit to cut un wanted parts of the streaming and make the tv show pure with no commercials.
** If you are not doing a reindex and frame level resync of the TS at the same time, it is highly recommended. Search VideoRedo h24 or TS Doctor. TSMuxer and AviDemux also worth a try.

-- - how to do a large scale of files all att once instead of add one file per once?
** Handbrake's batch encoder is made for this purpose.

-- - how to exactly determine the exact frame size after do the crop to make the new produced video lookks good.
** If the shows are transcoded consistently, there is no reason to adjust them individually. Make a custom template and stick with it.

-- - does there is anything I can do to make the video with a good quality as possible and small size as possible?
** The common saying here is, Speed, quality, size. Pick two. For you, encoding speed is going to be a major consideration. I tend to allow slightly larger files for the benefit of faster encoding time. To me, it's well worth the small collateral.

-- - Here in Egypt the lowest internet speed is 512 k adsl, so I used to make the video 45kbps to fit the lowest connection speed, so how can I adjust it?
** You will probably want a bitrate target rather than a quality target with so little downstream bandwidth. Keep the video real estate as small as you can live with. To me, 45kbps is too low for anything I would offer to the public, but you know your audience and streaming limitations.

-- - Also if there is any way to automate the process that would be awesome.
Using the Handbrake CLI to do your heavy lifting, the "awesomeness" of batch automation is limited only by your scripting abilities and your imagination.
WuxiIxuw

Post by WuxiIxuw »

musicvid wrote:-- We are using mpg2cut to do the edit to cut un wanted parts of the streaming and make the tv show pure with no commercials.
** If you are not doing a reindex and frame level resync of the TS at the same time, it is highly recommended. Search VideoRedo h24 or TS Doctor. TSMuxer and AviDemux also worth a try.
I did nothing in this step at all except open the .ts/.mpeg-2 file into the MPG2Cut and using keyboard fastly to explore the file and determine start and finished of each part and then save it as a separated files. So does these tools consume any kind of time as I've tried some tools previoulsy and ended up going back to MPG2Cut due to amazing time saving as it is working about 50000k per second.
musicvid wrote:-- - how to do a large scale of files all att once instead of add one file per once?
** Handbrake's batch encoder is made for this purpose.
Where can I find this patch encoder?
musicvid wrote:-- - how to exactly determine the exact frame size after do the crop to make the new produced video lookks good.
** If the shows are transcoded consistently, there is no reason to adjust them individually. Make a custom template and stick with it.
So far I've tried several ways to adjust the high and width of the file and I can not adjust it the way I want.
For example, the original frame size is 720x576 or 704x576 and then when I import the file into the encoder I can not adjust it at all and when I do the required crop I can not adjust the new frame size I want which is 480x270 or 640x360 so please how can I do so?
musicvid wrote:-- - does there is anything I can do to make the video with a good quality as possible and small size as possible?
** The common saying here is, Speed, quality, size. Pick two. For you, encoding speed is going to be a major consideration. I tend to allow slightly larger files for the benefit of faster encoding time. To me, it's well worth the small collateral.
where exactly I can do this adjustments?
musicvid wrote:-- - Here in Egypt the lowest internet speed is 512 k adsl, so I used to make the video 45kbps to fit the lowest connection speed, so how can I adjust it?
** You will probably want a bitrate target rather than a quality target with so little downstream bandwidth. Keep the video real estate as small as you can live with. To me, 45kbps is too low for anything I would offer to the public, but you know your audience and streaming limitations.
When I was using WinAVI I used to set video bitrate to 300 and audio bitrate to 32 and then found the total bitrate per second is about 45k. Yes, it is a low quality, but there will be two copies offered which are the low copy for online streaming and the other good one to download if the user wants to.
musicvid wrote:-- - Also if there is any way to automate the process that would be awesome.
Using the Handbrake CLI to do your heavy lifting, the "awesomeness" of batch automation is limited only by your scripting abilities and your imagination.
I do not know how to code, so if you or any one can help with this issue that would be awesome.

Please for all users reading my post, II am really do find this topic a bit hard so if any one has any extra time to post some help here or can help on a one-to-one team viewer to do not spam the forum that would awesome indeed as this is a really critical issue for my business.

Thanks a lot and too much appreciated and thanks for the admin for accepting my posts in the forum.
Deleted User 13735

The answers for most of your basic questions can be found here.
Again, reindexing TS source before undertaking a batch operation is suggested. Best of luck.
https://trac.handbrake.fr/wiki/HandBrakeGuide
WuxiIxuw

Post by WuxiIxuw »

Hello,
I did read the manual!
I've created a preset for my settings and it works as fine.
Now when I add a folder contains 4 or 5 files and then add them to queue and then click on the preset I've pre-made once again I've found that this preset is applied for the first file only in the queue and not the whole list.
How can I make the preset apply to the whole list and not just the first one.
Deleted User 13735

Save your preset as the default preset?
WuxiIxuw

Post by WuxiIxuw »

musicvid wrote:Save your preset as the default preset?
I did tried this option as well, but still getting the same result.
You can try it yourself to understand my point if I was not able to clear it enough.
I've even tried to add files one by one and at the end I found only the 1st file in the queue list done according to my preset while the rest are not.
Really do not know how to solve this issue.
Deleted User 13735

You didn't state your Handbrake version, but try a nightly build.
WuxiIxuw

Post by WuxiIxuw »

musicvid wrote:You didn't state your Handbrake version, but try a nightly build.
0.9.8 (2012071700)
What version you mean.
WuxiIxuw

Post by WuxiIxuw »

I know it is a bit late but really would like to thank you for recommendation for VideoReDo, really saved me a lot and helped me a lot.
Now I am using it all them time to edit the .ts file.
Please there is another issue I need a help with.
I am using vidcoder to encode my video files to .mp4 before upload it to youtube.
Please I would like to add a logo or a watermark or a title (in subtitle format) to video file but I want the file to remain the same size and same quality.
It will be my website title.
I tried too many tools from video help forum but it is reducing the video quality and increasing the file size.
Here is the exact situation:-
The original video file is a .ts format, and I use VideoReDo to edit the parts I want and keep only the parts I want in a single file.
I use vidcoder to encode a file that is an hour duration and change its frame size to 640x360 to fit youtube and do required crop, and it is encoding in about 2 minutes and 35 seconds.
I want to add a watermark or a logo or a title to the encoded video before I upload it to youtube.
Note:- I've realized there is a subtitle option in vidcoder but I do not know how to use it at all and posted in vidcoder help support forum but no reply from them.
The size for the file after encode it using vidcoder is about 150 mb and it is an hour duration long.
I tried too many tools but all consume a lot of time and reduce the video quality and increase the size.
I want something to do the job quickly as what vidcoder does as time is a very critical issue for me, but also keep the file resulted from vidcoder the same quality and size.
Smithcraft
Veteran User

Post by Smithcraft »

VidCoder support is handled at the VidCoder site/forums not at the Handbrake forums.

Handbrake is not really made for watermarking, and what you could do is create a custom VOBSUB that runs the full duration of the content, and select to burn it in in the subtitle tab.

SC
WuxiIxuw

Post by WuxiIxuw »

Thanks for replying.
Smithcraft wrote:VidCoder support is handled at the VidCoder site/forums not at the Handbrake forums.
Yes I do understand that but because I tried to post in the vidcoder support forum and one replied me back so I am trying to find any help as possible as I do not know what to do. :oops:
Smithcraft wrote:Handbrake is not really made for watermarking, and what you could do is create a custom VOBSUB that runs the full duration of the content, and select to burn it in in the subtitle tab.

SC
Please may you tell me how to create this vobsub?
Smithcraft
Veteran User

Post by Smithcraft »

You'll have to research how to create VOBSUB streams. It's the subtitle format used with DVDs.

SC