Second's Timing

HandBrake for Windows support
Forum rules
An Activity Log is required for support requests. Please read How-to get an activity log? for details on how and why this should be provided.
popeye13

Second's Timing

Post by popeye13 »

So, you can tell Handbrake to encode a certain timeframe of a file in Chapters, frames or Seconds. But since the new release, ive noticed the seconds option is wholly inaccurate.
Before, it would hit the exact second you set it too, but now, it at times can be as many as 3 seconds out, meaning you have unwanted video at the start, and missing video at the end.
Am i alone in this?

(Example, i need it to kick in 16 seconds into a video, i have to tell it to start at 19 seconds and then it cuts a small amount of the video i want to keep, off)
mduell
Veteran User

Re: Second's Timing

Post by mduell »

This is not a change in the "new release" (whatever that is); the seconds option has always gone to the nearest (or possibly next or previous, I forget) keyframe. It has never been second accurate unless your stream had a keyframe every second.
popeye13

Post by popeye13 »

mduell wrote:This is not a change in the "new release" (whatever that is); the seconds option has always gone to the nearest (or possibly next or previous, I forget) keyframe. It has never been second accurate unless your stream had a keyframe every second.
Then why was the previous release no problem yet this new one is?
And its the same streams, encoded the exact same way using the exact same software on the exact same machine thats had no updates installed on it at all in a good while.
Something has changed.

I was able to select the exact second, and it would 're-encode' from that very point, no problems.
mduell
Veteran User

Post by mduell »

Show me the encode logs with the same source and different releases.
popeye13

Post by popeye13 »

mduell wrote:Show me the encode logs with the same source and different releases.
Because i really have those don't i!!!
i don't need an encode log to tell me what's right infront of my eyes!
s55
HandBrake Team

Post by s55 »

What mduell has said is correct. This is the way it's worked since it was implemented. So, for some sources it'll be fine, for others it won't. Depends on how they were encoded.

If you think it's doing otherwise, we'd need a sample file that reproduces the issue and a log to go with.
mduell
Veteran User

Post by mduell »

popeye13 wrote:
mduell wrote:Show me the encode logs with the same source and different releases.
Put up or shut up.
popeye13

Post by popeye13 »

mduell wrote:
popeye13 wrote:
Put up or shut up.
How very immature!
TedJ
Veteran User

Post by TedJ »

popeye13 wrote:
Unfortunately we do need encode logs, since we can't see what you're seeing. You also need logs if you're going to stand a chance of receiving any real support... It's a forum rule for a reason. If you're using the GUI then there's a good chance the encode logs are still on disk.

https://trac.handbrake.fr/wiki/ActivityLogByPlatform