Where do I set the data rate on Handbrake before compressing

General questions or discussion about HandBrake, Video and/or audio transcoding, trends etc.
prez

Where do I set the data rate on Handbrake before compressing

Post by prez »

Hi...New to compressing. Succeeded in shrinking a 6.5 GB HD film file down to 550MB using Handbrate....Went to upload on Vimeo, and at the conclusion got this note from Vimeo:

We have some recommendations for this video:
This video's data rate is only 737 kbit/s, which is lower than what we recommend and means your video might not look as nice as it should. For HD video, we suggest you use a higher data rate, typically 5000 kbit/s.

So...following their recommendation how do I change the data rate to 5000kbts on Handbrake? Thanks for all and any help resolving this mystery.
Smithcraft
Veteran User

Re: Where do I set the data rate on Handbrake before compres

Post by Smithcraft »

What OS? Which version of Handbrake?

SC
prez

Post by prez »

Thanks for answering....MacB Pro....Maverick 10.9.3....Updated current version of Handbrake - HandBrake 0.9.9 x86_64.... Thank you for the response
Woodstock
Veteran User

Post by Woodstock »

Contrary to what you posted elsewhere about "latest version", that is the "release version". Latest versions are in the nightly builds.

Their recommendation does not make a lot of sense - you can have HD video with lower bandwidth, if the source is not particularly noisy.

On the Video settings tab, you can select "Constant Quality" or "Avg Bitrate (kbps)".
prez

Post by prez »

Ok, thanks for the reply. I'm going to keep it as is, and not worry about what Vimeo has to say...the HD Film File condensed thru Handbrake looks fine to me. Thanks again
Deleted User 13735

Post by Deleted User 13735 »

If you will post your required encode log, we can "possibly" suggest some settings.
Without it, not a chance.
I agree, 700Kbps is way to low for Vimeo unless it's a slideshow.