How to prevent HB to run out of memory?

HandBrake for Windows support
Forum rules
An Activity Log is required for support requests. Please read How-to get an activity log? for details on how and why this should be provided.
Sprinterdriver

How to prevent HB to run out of memory?

Post by Sprinterdriver »

Hi.

Log file:
http://pastebin.com/b2511htk

Mediainfo, information about the MTS file (the file itself is just too large to upload to the net)
http://pastebin.com/Kb0rnbGT

I have this 45 seconds MTS video file, 1920x1080 px, no sound (is a timelapse video, sound track is present but there is no actual sound), that I want to convert to mp4 with same size.

However, HB seems to get out of memory, when the encoding process is about to reach 100%.

What I have tried so far is to add "rc-lookahead=20". I also have tried to change this value as low as 5, but HB still runs out of memory.
Is there other settings to change to make HB use less memory? I can afford a little less video quality, but I don't want to reduce the screen size of be video. Or is there some limitation of the mp4 format that I need to be aware of?

When encoding my video clips, I always set x264 Preset = Placebo, because time spent for encoding is less important for me. Will HB use less memory if I change this to fast?
s55
HandBrake Team

Re: How to prevent HB to run out of memory?

Post by s55 »

For those settings, you have no choice but to use a 64bit build which you can't since your stuck on XP.

Using the medium preset might lower the memory just enough for you to scrape through encodes. Placebo doesn't gain you much anyway. Hence the name
Deleted User 11865

Post by Deleted User 11865 »

If the medium preset (+ a low rc-lookahead value) doesn't work, try:

Code: Select all

rc-lookahead=0:mbtree=0
Sprinterdriver

Post by Sprinterdriver »

Thanks guys.

I spend some time to test the x264 Preset = medium. Successfully encoded video. I also found it was possible to encode successfully up to x264 Preset = Slower.
Any higher (slower) setting made HB to reach maximum amount of RAM.

I still wonder - and I probably would not be able to see it for myself even if I tried, how would the rc-lookahead=0:mbtree=0 settings (along with placebo preset) affect the encoded video, compared to use medium preset and rc-lookahead=20?