How to tell if a disc is a movie or TV show?

Discussion of the HandBrake command line interface (CLI)
Forum rules
An Activity Log is required for support requests. Please read How-to get an activity log? for details on how and why this should be provided.
Donny Bahama

How to tell if a disc is a movie or TV show?

Post by Donny Bahama »

I can use minlength on a movie disc and if I set it to 3600, I pretty much only get 1 title, ever. But if the disc contains TV shows, they'll usually be 40-something minutes per episode -- but that's only for shows that have one hour (with commercials) episodes. For a show with 30 minute episodes, the length can be as little as 21 minutes. (Maybe even shorter, but I found one episode of Seinfeld that's 21:00.)

But if I set minlength to 20 minutes, there are bound to be plenty of movies with extras that are 20+ minutes. The one thing that comes to mind is to get a count of how many titles are 60+ minutes. If it's 1, it's a movie. If there are 3-5 titles that are at least 40 minutes long, obviously a TV show (with "1 hour" episodes)

Has anybody come up with a solution to this dilemma?
Deleted User 11865

Re: How to tell if a disc is a movie or TV show?

Post by Deleted User 11865 »

Yes, look at the disc before inserting it in the drive ;-) :P

If you're looking to automate this, there's no easy way. Maybe divide your encoding sessions based on source type, movies then series or vice-versa?
Donny Bahama

Post by Donny Bahama »

Thanks for the response but yes, I'm trying to automate it. There has to be some way...
Eelisland

Post by Eelisland »

Hello,
take a look ate this thread viewtopic.php?f=10&t=26163