avformat vs mp4v2

General questions or discussion about HandBrake, Video and/or audio transcoding, trends etc.
Vietwoojagig

avformat vs mp4v2

Post by Vietwoojagig »

Hi,

under which circumstances should I use avformat or mp4v2 format?
Are there devices which only support either the one or the other?
I see avformat is default.
Is this the same as saving in Subler either as M4V or MP4?

Thanks
Deleted User 11865

Re: avformat vs mp4v2

Post by Deleted User 11865 »

Nah, it's just the new vs. old muxer. Use avformat.
Smithcraft
Veteran User

Post by Smithcraft »

I think that going forward, the mp4v2 is not going to be available.

It is nothing like saving the file as an m4v or mp4 which has to do with things that Apple likes in the file, that deviate from the mp4 standard.

SC
Deleted User 11865

Smithcraft wrote:I think that going forward, the mp4v2 is not going to be available.

It is nothing like saving the file as an m4v or mp4 which has to do with things that Apple likes in the file, that deviate from the mp4 standard.
No. "m4v vs. mp4" is just a matter of extension-specific behavior, everything is still standards-compliant.
Vietwoojagig

Post by Vietwoojagig »

The "file" command of unix says that the mp4v2/mp42 is an "MPEG v4 system, version 2" file, and the avformat/isom an "MPEG v4 system, version 1" file.
Is there a reason to go back to an older standard?
Deleted User 11865

mp4v2 suffers from some licensing issues, and libavformat supports muxing more codecs, which could prove useful in the long run.
kpflugshaupt
Novice

Re: avformat vs mp4v2 (and libmkv)

Post by kpflugshaupt »

Rodeo wrote:mp4v2 suffers from some licensing issues, and libavformat supports muxing more codecs, which could prove useful in the long run.
I've noticed that avformat is also available for MKV muxing in newer builds (besides libmkv).
I assume that it's also going to be its replacement in the long run, and that there are no regressions involved with the change?

Best wishes
Kaspar
Deleted User 11865

The only known regression is that VobSub cannot be passed through to MP4 because the new muxer doesn't support it. Not a big deal given how almost nothing supports VobSub in MP4 anyway.