ATV3 V1 v. V2: Performance Differences?

Discuss encoding for devices and presets.
Forum rules
An Activity Log is required for support requests. Please read How-to get an activity log? for details on how and why this should be provided.
JohnJ9

ATV3 V1 v. V2: Performance Differences?

Post by JohnJ9 »

I swear this is on topic simply because 95% of my ATV use is to watch things encoded through Handbrake. (Besides, the smarter people tend to hang out here ;) ).

I have an ATV3 V1 in the living room, and have bought a second one to put in my son's room. Given they're functionally identical (I assume - are they?), is there a performance difference between the two when it comes to either getting things off the ethernet or processing a stream before playing it back? I didn't know if one would perform better or create less noise in the picture due to factors that are strictly runtime in nature. I have managed to create a couple files in the past that I swear were made with the ATV3 preset, but wouldn't play back on the ATV later. I've lost the source files to try to re-encode (a couple things I pulled off TV using a Hauppauge), but it made me wonder if there were subtle differences in the two versions spec-wise before deciding which device went in which room.

(I'm not blaming Handbrake for the files I couldn't play back - I needed to do more research to be able to make logs and prove whether or not it was me, and it was my fault I lost the sources to a hard drive failure before I found out I had a problem.)

Thanks.
Smithcraft
Veteran User

Re: ATV3 V1 v. V2: Performance Differences?

Post by Smithcraft »

Without logs we most likely can't help you.

SC
dynaflash
Veteran User

Re: ATV3 V1 v. V2: Performance Differences?

Post by dynaflash »

Smithcraft is right. A pastebin.com of the logs linked here will tell the tale. HB keeps logs of every encode.

https://trac.handbrake.fr/wiki/ActivityLogByPlatform