Handbrake vs.VirtualDub(Mod)

General questions or discussion about HandBrake, Video and/or audio transcoding, trends etc.
13hm13

Handbrake vs.VirtualDub(Mod)

Post by 13hm13 »

I'm sure this is an OLD and much-repeated query but I have an excuse ...I'm a NOOB ....

Anyway...

On torrents and other file-shared DVDRips (and similar), I often see VirtualDub in the Specs more than other transcoders (like HB), so Handbrake may not for me after all.
Why use one VDM over HB?

Please explain the important diffs simply -- and use Einsteinian logic: if you can't explain it to your grandmother, YOU probably don't understand it yourself.

Example of the type of INFO or SPECS I normally see:

Code: Select all

INFO:
Format : AVI
Format/Info : Audio Video Interleave
File size : 1.37 GiB
Duration : 1h 11mn
Overall bit rate : 2 756 Kbps
Writing application : VirtualDubMod 1.5.10.2 (build 2540/release)
Writing library : VirtualDub build 28225/release

Video
ID : 0
Format : MPEG-4 Visual
Format profile : Advanced Simple@L5
Format settings, BVOP : 2
Format settings, QPel : No
Format settings, GMC : No warppoints
Format settings, Matrix : Default (H.263)
Muxing mode : Packed bitstream
Codec ID : XVID
Codec ID/Hint : XviD
Bit rate : 2 362 Kbps
Width : 720 pixels
Height : 400 pixels
Display aspect ratio : 16:9
Frame rate : 25.000 fps
Color space : YUV
Chroma subsampling : 4:2:0
Bit depth : 8 bits
Scan type : Progressive
Compression mode : Lossy
Bits/(Pixel*Frame) : 0.328
Stream size : 1.18 GiB (86%)
Writing library : XviD 64

Audio
ID : 1
Format : AC-3
Format/Info : Audio Coding 3
Mode extension : CM (complete main)
Format settings, Endianness : Big
Codec ID : 2000
Bit rate mode : Constant
Bit rate : 384 Kbps
Channel(s) : 6 channels
Channel positions : Front: L C R, Side: L R, LFE
Sampling rate : 48.0 KHz
Bit depth : 16 bits
Compression mode : Lossy
Stream size : 196 MiB (14%)
Alignment : Aligned on interleaves
Interleave, duration : 40 ms (1.00 video frame)
Interleave, preload duration : 512 ms
"Thank You .... Thank You Very Much"
-Elvis Presley (the fat 1970's Elvis, of course)
Deleted User 13735

Re: Handbrake vs.VirtualDub(Mod)

Post by Deleted User 13735 »

On torrents and other file-shared DVDRips (and similar),
OOPS!
Forum Rule 3.
13hm13

Post by 13hm13 »

Interesting how musicvid completely ignored the valid query and focused on a triviality. If s/he's havin' fun with me ... cool -- a fellow joker ... haze the NOOB for the frat ;)

But if this fella's serious, yikes ... folks: ergo, HB, as in "intellectual" community is, doomed. Anyway...
musicvid wrote:
On torrents and other file-shared DVDRips (and similar),
OOPS!
Forum Rule 3.
You mean this:
3. Discussion of topics of dubious legality (Illegally obtained copyrighted content, Circumventing DRM (Digital Rights Management) and Rental discs etc) is not permitted.

There is absolutely NOTHING in the OP that suggests "dubious legality". I have dozens of home-made movies and music videos I created for YouTube and FS that have no DRM, etc. I distribute them via torrents so I don't have to pay for $$ hosting service.
Is NOT thinking outside the box also a HB forum rule?
Smithcraft
Veteran User

Post by Smithcraft »

Some of the fancy encoders don't like Handbrake because they consider it to be a "one click solution" and many times prefer to go through forty steps with ten different applications just to do the same thing. So they prefer the complicated system they have because it's the one they know. Some also claim that Handbrake doesn't allow full access to x264s functions.

SC
13hm13

Post by 13hm13 »

A further note on Forum Rules (sorry for going OT)...
If this community is really serious about DRM, etc. then Handbrake's gotta be FLUSHED along with the booty. I mean get real ... how many folks are not using transcoders for stuff that's unCSS'd?
13hm13

Post by 13hm13 »

Smithcraft wrote:Some of the fancy encoders don't like Handbrake because they consider it to be a "one click solution" and many times prefer to go through forty steps with ten different applications just to do the same thing. So they prefer the complicated system they have because it's the one they know. Some also claim that Handbrake doesn't allow full access to x264s functions.

SC
Wasn't one-click for me ... didn't know HB was only good for no-CSS stuff.
But frankly, almost all the video I watch is on YouTube or otherwise downloadable in ready-to-watch format. Like the code example I gave above --- some poor sap had done all the hard for me using VDM ... and the quality was excellent ... as good as any transcoding I've seen.
Basically, if I have legacy media (physical optical discs), it's way easier/quicker for me to get it from the "Cloud" than to process it. And YouTube's got far more interesting material, anyway ... and one can download 720p often ... no transcode ... no trans-fat ;)
GregiBoy
Veteran User

Post by GregiBoy »

Bye then!!!!
Deleted User 13735

Post by Deleted User 13735 »

Yes, I'm 100% certain you will be much happier with a VFW intraframe codec in VDub, where the bitrate math will work exactly the way you expect it should . . . :wink:

Oh, don't let the door hit you on the way out.
13hm13

Post by 13hm13 »

Thx for your comments.
One important followup question .... how many posts do I have write to qualify as a "Board Veteran"? Reason I ask is that I now proudly consider myself a HB fanboy and a forum.handbrake.fr expert wannabe... er ... or is that LIFER ??? Hmm... Wanna "Handbraker for Life" t-shirt, too. Or is that only with paid membership?