The PS3, PSP experience!

Discuss encoding for devices and presets.
Forum rules
An Activity Log is required for support requests. Please read How-to get an activity log? for details on how and why this should be provided.
McCall

The PS3, PSP experience!

Post by McCall »

Hi Folks,

I thought I would let people know my experience using Handbrake and encoding The Matrix for my PS3. I have decided to rip movies to my hard disk, and use the original CD as my back-up media. I only do this for movies I own, and I hate piracy.

First, I ripped the movie to my hard disk using MacTheRipper 2.6.6. From there I loaded up Handbrake and started encoding. I was originally using the HB-PS3 preset, and then choosing 2-pass encoding, this didn't work for reasons discussed here:http://handbrake.m0k.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2466. So I ended up just using the HB-PS3 preset, without modification for my first try. I have since created my own HB-Universal preset that should work on my PS3, XBOX360 and on an AppleTV should I ever get one, but I won't get to test the 360 part till later today.

The output movie was 2.4Gb and would play fine using QuickTime 7 under OS X. The movie played fine on the PS3 from the external USB hard drive, once copied to the internal hard drive I was able to set a 15-second clip of the movie for its icon (I naturally chose the Matrix code at the begining :) ), which was kind of cool.

I have a 37" LCD 1080p Toshiba, and when on "normal" setting, the full screen was used (with normal black bars at the top and bottom). The quality was okay, but not great. The "original" setting on TV played the movie back at the normal SD resolution in the centre of the screen, this was obviously perfect quality, but only filled a small part of the screen.

I haven't compared it to the original DVD yet, but I don't expect it to be too different at the "normal" setting.

The sound was only 2-channel, which I was a little disappointed about, and need to try and work out why, at the moment I don't know if this is the way I have encoded it or the player in the PS3. I will be able to check this out later if the Universal encoding works and I can play it on the 360. I am hoping to get 5.1 sound from the movies I encode. [UPDATE: I have since found out that the sound is probably Dolby Pro Logic II, and the PS3 can't play 5.1 AAC anyway, so DPLII is the best I can get.]

So far I was fairly-happy, but the part that blew my mind was the remote play using the PSP. I was able to play the movie over my home wireless network displaying on my PSP and the quality was perfect. I don't just mean good, it was perfect. I am guessing that using the new PSP's TV out funtion, there would be no problems at all playing a movie wirelessly on a standard definition TV with little loss of quality.

Later this week I am going to try to test remote play over the Internet. I don't expect it to be as good, but I am keeping my fingers crossed!

If I can get the sound sorted, and a movie format that will play on both my PS3 and 360, with each movie between 1.5Gb and 3Gb then I will be happy to use my external hard disk to store all my DVD's, primarily for playing using my PS3.

My thanks goes out to the developers for all the work they have put into Handbrake!
micster

Post by micster »

This is what I'm interested in doing too! Could you share your CLI settings? How did the "over the Internet" test go?
canoehead

Post by canoehead »

Apparently the PS3 can only do two channel stereo from the XMB - as opposed to from the optical drive where it can do all kinds of HD Audio goodness. Something to lobby Sony for - they've already upgraded the firmware quite a bit, so we can hope.

**UPDATE**

This may not be the case (any longer?)- if you are running your audio from the PS3 to a receiver using HDMI, you may be able to encode your audio using the 5 channel discreet - try one and see.
Last edited by canoehead on Thu Jan 31, 2008 8:40 pm, edited 2 times in total.
clueluzz

Re: The PS3, PSP experience!

Post by clueluzz »

Hey, I noticed that you used the PS3 preset on HB to make the file. I tried the same method but when I play on the PS3 I only get sound, no picture. Any ideas why?
canoehead

Post by canoehead »

Something for this thread that I noticed - just my first take, so PLEASE do not regard as gospel:

The PSP Preset should be updated (or supplemented) to reflect PSP firmware upgrades, which now permits the use of the h.264 (level=3) codec and also permits full use of the screen at 480 x 272 resolution. Presumably this higher res would be joined by a corresponding higher bitrate.
briguy

Post by briguy »

McCall wrote:I have since created my own HB-Universal preset that should work on my PS3, XBOX360 and on an AppleTV should I ever get one, but I won't get to test the 360 part till later today.
Any chance you can let us in on your Universal preset? I am looking to use PS3 for now, but may get an Apple TV later. It would be nice to not have to do it again.