some suggestion about divd rip

General questions or discussion about HandBrake, Video and/or audio transcoding, trends etc.
doby

some suggestion about divd rip

Post by doby »

I need some suggestion about DVD rip using HandBrake...

I'm trying to rip the DVD which...I think it is encoded with a low-bitrate video because it contains 4 episodes of the series totally about 4 hours long in a single DVD5 disc.

I used the default "High Profile" templates (and the constant quality "RF value"=20), and the result video file after encoded is about 4GB.
Actually I'm ok with the quality, but compare to the original file size (DVD5 capacity is about 4.7GB), I actually hope for a smaller file size after encoded.

The original picture quality in the DVD is just ok, not so great because of a low-bitrate encoded.

Anyone have some suggestions on the setting to reduce the file size and maintain the quality to be as close as the DVD? Should I increase RF to a higher value? or should I use a "Denoise" setting? or "Deblocking"?

Thank you.
Deleted User 13735

Re: some suggestion about divd rip

Post by Deleted User 13735 »

Top of the forum -- encode log is required.
Why should we guess what is on the DVD?
GregiBoy
Veteran User

Post by GregiBoy »

And in a big red box.
musicvid wrote:Top of the forum -- encode log is required.
Why should we guess what is on the DVD?
doby

Post by doby »

I'm sorry about that.
Honestly, I just want to ask if there is any suggestion about setting in general case when we rip a DVD that contains a very long movie and low-bitrate (without wasted so many bitrate to encode noise of the video), not just about only my case, my disc. So I think the activity log is not need. But may be I'm wrong.

Anyway, thank you for the answer :)
Smithcraft
Veteran User

Post by Smithcraft »

Different types of movies will compress differently.

SC
Deleted User 13735

Post by Deleted User 13735 »

The encode log is not considered discretionary.
With that information, experts here could determine if yours is a known noisy title, look at your current settings (which you may or may not recall correctly), and possibly offer a "suggestion," based on known or projected technical parameters, for a more efficient encode. So although the reason the encode log is "needed" may not be known to you, that does not make it less important. Without it, however, no one is likely to bother with your question.

Once again, if you would like help with the compression for the specific title(s) you are trying to encode, please post the required encode log(s), between code blocks please.
Otherwise, for discussions of a nonspecific nature, they have thoughtfully provided a "Tiki Bar"forum on this board for general chit-chat and musings.
Thanks, and welcome to the forums!