Encoding stops almost immediately after starting

HandBrake for Mac support
Forum rules
An Activity Log is required for support requests. Please read How-to get an activity log? for details on how and why this should be provided.
andyfu

Encoding stops almost immediately after starting

Post by andyfu »

Tonight I tried to encode a District 9 DVD for playback on an Apple TV. Almost immediately after starting to encode the main title Handbrake announced it was finished. The output file was 4KB long. When I play it there is a black screen for less than a second and then it is over. I wondered if the problem could be a damaged disk. However, I was able to use Ripit.app to put a copy of the DVD on my hard drive. I tried encoding from the hard drive and HandBrake stopped at exactly the same place. VLC can play the disk (both the original and the ripped copy) without difficulty. The activity log for an attempt to encode the hard drive version for the Apple TV is in the pastebin URL below. Many thanks for any help you can provide.

http://pastebin.com/bNhSTW6k
mduell
Veteran User

Re: Encoding stops almost immediately after starting

Post by mduell »

Ripit isn't known for producing very good rips, try MakeMKV.
andyfu

Post by andyfu »

Thanks. MakeMKV works. It is slow but effective! I wonder what MakeMKV (or VLC for that matter) knows about Sony's encryption that HandBrake does not?
GregiBoy
Veteran User

Post by GregiBoy »

Handbrake knows NOTHING about encryption and never has.

You have made an incorrect assumption.
mduell
Veteran User

Post by mduell »

andyfu wrote:Thanks. MakeMKV works. It is slow but effective! I wonder what MakeMKV (or VLC for that matter) knows about Sony's encryption that HandBrake does not?
Everything. HB doesn't do any decryption.