New QSV beta - QSV preset removed?

HandBrake for Windows support
Forum rules
An Activity Log is required for support requests. Please read How-to get an activity log? for details on how and why this should be provided.
jkauff
Experienced

New QSV beta - QSV preset removed?

Post by jkauff »

I downloaded the new beta of Handbrake QSV, and noticed that the highest preset for QSV is now "Balanced". Just curious why the high quality preset got removed.

BTW, the beta works just fine on my multi-GPU system with HandbrakeCLI.exe added to Virtu MVP.
ashleylai87

Re: New QSV beta - QSV preset removed?

Post by ashleylai87 »

By the way, I also noticed users don't actually need to use LucidVirtu software if they can activate their IGPU at BIOS/EUFI even with discrete GPU inserted. I tested with my Z77 board (using HandBrake-svn5671 QSV beta) and follow the instruction here http://mirillis.com/en/products/tutoria ... ktops.html to artificially 'turn on' the display adapter in Win7. There is no need to plug HDMI/DVI/etc to the IGPU ^.^

From what I read before, some older chipset or cheap/budget chipset can't turn on the IGPU after discrete GPU is inserted. There is simply no settings to activate the IGPU at the BIOS/UEFI (hardware limitation).

Anyone care to add the guide on adding the 'headless display adapter' information to the Trac Wiki in this regard?
jkauff
Experienced

Post by jkauff »

The headless display trick didn't work with the original beta, but it does with the new one (I just tried it). That's progress!

Supposedly, Win 8 supports the headless iGPU without the fake display, but I haven't found any software yet that takes advantage of that capability. I'll have to try the new beta on Win 8 to see if the Handbrake team figured out how to do it.
Deleted User 11865

Post by Deleted User 11865 »

It's just a different mapping:

Sandy Bridge, Ivy Bridge: balanced => TU2, speed => TU4
Haswell: quality => TU2, balanced => TU4, speed => TU6

…there's a reasoning behind this, but I'm tired and maybe Maxym can explain it better anyway.
AAT

Post by AAT »

I had QSV button also missing and acceleration did not worked. To fix the problem I uninstalled both my graphics driver (HD4000 and Radeon 8750M) and re installed only HD4000 driver. Now I have QSV preset button and the acceleration is working. The speed boost is very impressive!
What took 12minutes and 2 seconds, takes only 2minutes 22 seconds! Switching to best speed only 1 minute and 35 seconds necessary to compress a 45 min length movie :D.
The another good news, I only noticed little quality drop using best speed mod and the balanced mod quality just like the source's video. Impressive! If someone interested I have the screenshoots from the same spot of the movie with different settings...

Unfortunately the file size is much bigger as compressing the movie the regular way;
Source; 1687MB
Compressing regular way; 522MB
Compressing with QSV best speed mod; 682MB
Compressing with QSV balanced mod; 787MB

What is the reason behind of this?
Smithcraft
Veteran User

Post by Smithcraft »

You can pick two of these three - Speed, Quality, File Size.

SC
gmb
Bright Spark User

Post by gmb »

If you add this into the advanced field it runs even faster: gop-ref-dist=0

Handbrake uses 4 by default while SDK 3 by default and usually resulting in a better quality as a bonus (most videos not all).
AAT

Post by AAT »

Where can I pick the "file size" option?

Under optimize video:

QSV preset: I have only "Best speed" and "Balanced" options.

Other question, how could I set default .mkv extension because always tiring me with mp4...?
s55
HandBrake Team

Post by s55 »

There is no filesize option. You can reduce the CQ, or average bitrate to reduce filesize as the expense of quality. That's the trade off you have to make.
Your not going to match x264 in terms of quality or filesize, so don't even bother trying. The whole point in QSV is Low power fast encoding at a "reasonable" quality.
If your archiving content, I'd say x264 is the better bet. If quality and filesize are less important, then QSV may be the better choice as it's fast.

As for mkv, create a preset and set it as the default.
gmb
Bright Spark User

Post by gmb »

s55 wrote: Your not going to match x264 in terms of quality or filesize, so don't even bother trying. The whole point in QSV is Low power fast encoding at a "reasonable" quality.
If your archiving content, I'd say x264 is the better bet. If quality and filesize are less important, then QSV may be the better choice as it's fast.

Depends on the x264 preset (and video). Don't expect better than QS quality if you choose a faster x264 preset like very fast. I would say use medium and you are on the safe side. Otherwise x264 is not necessarily better than QS Lookahead in terms of quality. Depends also on the video, results can vary.